Thread: Hypocrisy page

Lewis is offline Senior Member

Hypocrisy

Notice in Sainsburys: "Every time you use our bag, the planet thanks you."

Well, it had better speak up, because I never fucking heard it.

It's the obnoxious grandiosity of it: that we can do a favour to something as large as the planet -- but only by the means of this supermarket chain.

Maybe they could start a little smaller? How about not driving almost every butcher, every fishmonger, every greengrocer, every bakery, every milkman, and so forth in the country out of business for starters? I've seen all these close throughout my life. How about not stuffing rapeseed oil, HFCS, and soy into just about any product you can on your shelves? How about not carrying any product that isn't accurately and honestly labelled? How about paying small farmers a decent amount for their produce and not trying to screw a lower price every year oh, and here's another: how about decent pay and conditions for your own staff? No wonder they always look so miserable when I go there! Waitrose (John Lewis) can do this: why not you?

To cap it all you financed that shifty character Tony Blair, who did more damage to this country than could be calculated.

"The planet" forsooth! Let's start large: it's only words after all. Nauseating.

Anyone got any other examples?

Miscellangela is offline Senior Member
    How about Wal Mart's "green initiatives"? Puhleeese. Wal Mart is so un-green it's red.

Pilatesmom is offline Member
    Tesco's is just as bad. When I lived in the UK in Yorkshire, I was able to find several butchers in town and even farmer's markets to get grass fed meats and cheeses and fresh milk. I found it much harder when I returned stateside, but they do exist. They even had milk delivery outside of Leeds, I thought that was pretty cool.

Aili is offline Senior Member

Good points re business

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Notice in Sainsburys: "Every time you use our bag, the planet thanks you."

Well, it had better speak up, because I never fucking heard it.

It's the obnoxious grandiosity of it: that we can do a favour to something as large as the planet -- but only by the means of this supermarket chain.

Maybe they could start a little smaller? How about not driving almost every butcher, every fishmonger, every greengrocer, every bakery, every milkman, and so forth in the country out of business for starters? I've seen all these close throughout my life. How about not stuffing rapeseed oil, HFCS, and soy into just about any product you can on your shelves? How about not carrying any product that isn't accurately and honestly labelled? How about paying small farmers a decent amount for their produce and not trying to screw a lower price every year oh, and here's another: how about decent pay and conditions for your own staff? No wonder they always look so miserable when I go there! Waitrose (John Lewis) can do this: why not you?

To cap it all you financed that shifty character Tony Blair, who did more damage to this country than could be calculated.

"The planet" forsooth! Let's start large: it's only words after all. Nauseating.

Anyone got any other examples?
    Excellent points! If the current 'wisdom' was to make sure to destroy (whatever) in nature, these stores would make sure to advertise that too!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I agree with the OP 100%. My major contribution to keeping the planet clean was to not have children. That wasn't the primary reason (there's a genetic disease in my family), but it works out fine.

I also rarely drink anything that comes out of a can and haven't in a lot of decades. That's also not an eco-choice first, but it works out fine.

At the state level, I'd like to see deposits on cans and bottles. Amazingly only ~11 states have them. Having moved here from one of those states, it still kind of freaks me out to see all the cans and bottless in the dumpster when I throw out my trash. I've picked up extra cash by "canning," and it was fun.

From corporations, I expect transparency. Yes, their financials are open because they're traded publickly, but I'd like to not have to turn a can over to squint the fine print that "tuna packed in water," really means, "tuna packed in water and soy." I'd like to not have to throw my hands up in frustration because after examining eight different mayos/tomato sauces/etc., I can't buy a frigging one because, they all have cheap/bad oils. Tell me what the "natural flavoring" is - I mean rat anus is "natural," but I'm not sure I want it in my food.

All of the above has made me very paranoid about all processed foods. I don't trust a one of them. Not the big food companies, not the little "hippie" ones. I think every time a law is passed, producers of processed foods figure out a way to just barely stay within the law.

Walmart green initiatives. hahahahaha. That shit don't play even for the people I know who still get food there.

There's a dirty little secret also about recyclables. In some cities where people are trying to do their best, the recycling plants are so packed with stuff that a lot of recyclables go straight to the landfills anyway.
    Last edited by JoanieL; 10-20-2012 at 11:58 AM.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    At the state level, I'd like to see deposits on cans and bottles. Amazingly only ~11 states have them. Having moved here from one of those states, it still kind of freaks me out to see all the cans and bottless in the dumpster when I throw out my trash. I've picked up extra cash by "canning," and it was fun.

There's a dirty little secret also about recyclables. In some cities where people are trying to do their best, the recycling plants are so packed with stuff that a lot of recyclables go straight to the landfills anyway.
    Where I am, we give residential households sorting bins (some people do, some don't) but they don't offer the separate bins for apartments or businesses. They do have the trash pass under magnets that get some of the metal, and then through hand sorters that get other things (glass, I think). Then they turn around and sell it, which is fine with me. Keeps the price pf trash pickup lower and it was just going into the landfill anyway.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Mike in Virginia is offline Senior Member
    Here is George Carlin's take on "saving the planet": George Carlin - Saving the Planet - YouTube

Caution: very rough language.
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    On a minor note...

I thawed out a package of frozen fish for dinner. Inside the outer package were two fish filets, each also packaged separately. What did the nutritional label say? "THREE servings" ! Why didn't they just package THREE smaller filets, then?

And how about products in jars or cans, and they have one-and-a-half or two-and-a-half servings in the jar/can? Srsly? Half a serving? Well, maybe if you're sharing with your kid, but come on...

They're encouraging consumers to eat more than one serving so they can sell more of the product. Very few of us actually read the nutritional labels and realize how many servings there are.