Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting from the beginning page

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member

Starting from the beginning

Primal Fuel
    I'm starting over from the beginning as if I were a newbie to Primal eating. I'm going to do my best to truly follow the PB plan in all aspects, the biggest change is probably going to be my fitness. I'm getting really frustrated, I gained about 20lbs after my wedding, my thyroid totally whacked out for awhile and I'm having the hardest time getting the weight loss started again. I've never had issues losing fat in the past, but I just feel like I'm stuck. I tend to be a total cardio queen, so I really want to follow the PB lifestyle completely for a couple months and see what that does for me.

I was re-reading the intro stuff that Mark has posted, he says to keep carbs around 80g/day for good fat loss, which is what I'm after. Does that sound about right to everyone here? I think over the last few months I have read so much information and tried so many different things, I might have just completely freaked my body out. I just want to keep things as simple and consistent as I possibly can.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    FWIW, I eat more carbs than that and can still lose weight. I probably average 120/day, some days are lower, some days are higher. This weekend is one of those "higher" days, thanks to this giant tray of fresh figs I acquired yesterday....hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeOfRound View Post
    FWIW, I eat more carbs than that and can still lose weight. I probably average 120/day, some days are lower, some days are higher. This weekend is one of those "higher" days, thanks to this giant tray of fresh figs I acquired yesterday....hehe.
    Alright, awesome! Thank you for responding. I really want to lean out and look athletic and healthy. How many calories do you eat per day on average? That's another thing I struggle with, how many calories I should be eating in order to lose fat, gain lean muscle.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    I probably average about 2500. I don't know if I'm gaining muscle right now, I'm pretty stable in that department, I think, and am ok with that.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    It all depends on the person, really. Some people will feel like absolute crap until they up their carb intake beyond the 50g or below recommended. There's no way to find out until you start and experiment to see what's best for you.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Yes, it's definitely a matter of experimenting. Try something, give it a few weeks, and if it doesn't work for you, just try something else. Very Low Carb (VLC) sucks for some people and is a lifesaver for others. Activity levels, type of goals and any issues are all going to make a difference in what works. I'm still trying out where I fit in this whole thing.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I found that eating too low carb for too long magnified my hypothyroid symptoms to the extreme. I've also found that I can't lose fat by eating high fat/low carb. Just does not work for me. Even though I think it makes so much sense, my experience was that eating primal was a health disaster for me in a few ways (IBS, depression, fatigue), and it's made me incredibly cycnical about eating low carb.

Have you checked out the Perfect Health Diet? It's basically a higher carb version of paleo/primal, with the same emphasis on healthy fats and not eating processed foods. I've been eating more that way, and it's fixed my mood issues, improved my fatigue, and now I'm working on fixing my thyroid issue I made worse by eating primal. There is a really excellent article on the website about thyroid and low carb eating, and they discuss how being low carb tricks the body into thinking it's in 'hibernation' mode, suppresses the thyroid and metabolism, etc... It's a good read, even if you decide it's not for you.

Hypothyroidism | Perfect Health Diet

Also, have you checked out Chris Kresser's articles on thyoid? He has some really informative ones, and he's a paleo-ish doctor who also doesn't think eating low carb is a good thing to do, especially when it comes to hypothyroid issues.

Thyroid Disorders

Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    I found that eating too low carb for too long magnified my hypothyroid symptoms to the extreme. I've also found that I can't lose fat by eating high fat/low carb. Just does not work for me. Even though I think it makes so much sense, my experience was that eating primal was a health disaster for me in a few ways (IBS, depression, fatigue), and it's made me incredibly cycnical about eating low carb.

Have you checked out the Perfect Health Diet? It's basically a higher carb version of paleo/primal, with the same emphasis on healthy fats and not eating processed foods. I've been eating more that way, and it's fixed my mood issues, improved my fatigue, and now I'm working on fixing my thyroid issue I made worse by eating primal. There is a really excellent article on the website about thyroid and low carb eating, and they discuss how being low carb tricks the body into thinking it's in 'hibernation' mode, suppresses the thyroid and metabolism, etc... It's a good read, even if you decide it's not for you.

Hypothyroidism | Perfect Health Diet

Also, have you checked out Chris Kresser's articles on thyoid? He has some really informative ones, and he's a paleo-ish doctor who also doesn't think eating low carb is a good thing to do, especially when it comes to hypothyroid issues.

Thyroid Disorders
    Thanks so much for the links! I do not plan on going VLC as I know there are associations with that and hypothyroidism. Since I've already been struggling with thyroid issues, I certainly don't want to exacerbate the issue. Is 80g of carbs a day considered low carb, too low to steer clear of thyroid issues? I have no problem eating more carbs, I'll just have an extra sweet potato or two.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I have a theory that if you come here with obesity and insulin resistance and any of the markers of metabolic syndrome, even if they are subclinical, then watching the carbohydrate closely is extremely valuable and the key to getting healthy. But once you get healthy, I think it no longer matters very much so long as all the carbs you consume are Primal-approved and so long as meat and fat are still a main source of your calories.

But I think a return to the basics is a great idea. There was a thread similar to that when I first came here. "Anybody ever done the basic blueprint no tweaks" or something like that.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I have a theory that if you come here with obesity and insulin resistance and any of the markers of metabolic syndrome, even if they are subclinical, then watching the carbohydrate closely is extremely valuable and the key to getting healthy. But once you get healthy, I think it no longer matters very much so long as all the carbs you consume are Primal-approved and so long as meat and fat are still a main source of your calories.

But I think a return to the basics is a great idea. There was a thread similar to that when I first came here. "Anybody ever done the basic blueprint no tweaks" or something like that.
    Well I am for the most part, healthy. Really the only thing that I would like to do is lose about 20lbs and keep it off, but I haven't done every aspect of the PB before. Especially the fitness aspect of it, but I have a new weight lifting program to start on Monday, so I will be doing that three days a week now instead of all the cardio I was doing. So if the carbs don't really matter once you are at the point I'm at, what does matter? Just making sure I'm eating at a caloric deficit? I have never really encountered this issue before, having a difficulty at shedding lbs. It's always been fairly easy for me, I would just bump up the workouts and the weight would come off. Of course I would watch calories a bit too, but I still ate a lot of calories. I know the thyroid issue set me back a lot and as far as I can tell from tests, it's starting to normalize now. Is it because I'm getting older? I'm just really perplexed about this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast