Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: avoiding refined foods page 2

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This is why I object to Primal folks who say they eat "real food" or "unprocessed food" or "whole food." Well that could apply equally to almost any diet. You could argue that vegan and raw food diets are less processed than primal.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Any diet the focuses on unprocessed foods is going to be better than one based on grains. Unfortunately most vegetarians are grainatarians. Even if they ate whole unprocessed food and see and improvement does not meat their diet is better than primal which includes good healthy protein from game, beef, fish etc.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    You need some better definitions of "refined" if you consider home-rendered lard, ground beef, and sauerkraut to be "refined foods" - they are basically cooked, cut up, and fermented, respectively, all can be done at home without electricity and with no chemicals of any kind. Nobody is claiming you have to eat raw wild zebra kidney to be "primal" - sheesh!
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Forgotmylastusername is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    When it comes to food, I consider "refined" to mean it had to be made in a refinery, by some advanced mechanical or chemical method that couldn't be replicated by hand.

Lard and olive oil are not so much "refined" as they are "extracted"...while commercial varieties are probably done through an automated process, it mimics a method that can be done by hand.

Ground beef is not refined...its "prepared", and only slightly more prepared than a steak that was cut with a meat saw. Its the same product as a steak, just prepared differently. I still buy prepared foods (salt, spices, frozen & canned veggies, broth, coconut oil, pasta sauce, shredded coconut, chocolate, vinegar, butter, cream, mustard, etc, etc) with an eye on the ingredients of course.

If it wouldn't exist without a factory, its not real food and I don't eat it.
    I would probably classify refined as something that removes a lot of the nutrients. Olive and coconut have most of the nutrients removed similar to how raw sugar does when processed from the raw sugar beets

salgorge is offline Junior Member
    Yes even I to don't like to eat refined food ,I simply avoid to eat it as it contains large amount of fats,which very danger to my health now i m 75kg,but before 80kg,simply want to have some nutritional food.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12