Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dark Chocolate page

Delang is offline Junior Member

Dark Chocolate

Shop Now
    I'm a huge fan of dark chocolate! But how much is to much?

I've found the following bar. It's a fairtrade, carbon neutral product and comes from Switzerland

The nutritional values (100grams)

78% dark chocolate
    7 grams protein
    48 grams fat
    41 grams of carbs

I could eat 100grams a day (who couldn't), but is that overdoing it?

I'm on around 50 carbs a day, from fruits and veggies btw

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Delang View Post
    The nutritional values (100grams)

78% dark chocolate
    7 grams protein
    48 grams fat
    41 grams of carbs

I could eat 100grams a day (who couldn't), but is that overdoing it?

I'm on around 50 carbs a day, from fruits and veggies btw
    41 grams of carbs is quite a chunk from your daily intake. I restrict myself to 25gms of 70% cocoa solid chocolate so that I have a treat every day. As to overdoing it, you have to decide what is best for you.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

bob loblaw is offline Senior Member
    Step up to REAL dark chocolate.

Work your way up to 85% and then 90%. It has way less sugar, more of the good stuff, and just tastes AWESOME. It might not be the best at first, but trust me, you'll get used to it and eventually you will CRAVE it like regular chocolate.

Vivanni 85% is an amazing chocolate, it tastes like 75% and has an amazing texture. (With no soy lecithin.) Endangered Species 88% is good too if you don't mind that it's not organic and has soy lecithin.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    If you're trying to lose weight, it won't do you much favors to eat 100g a day, but if you're trying to maintain and can restrict other foods to make up for the increased carbs, go ahead. Make that your 20%.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

MeatSleepRepeat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bob loblaw View Post
    Step up to REAL dark chocolate.

Work your way up to 85% and then 90%. It has way less sugar, more of the good stuff, and just tastes AWESOME. It might not be the best at first, but trust me, you'll get used to it and eventually you will CRAVE it like regular chocolate.

Vivanni 85% is an amazing chocolate, it tastes like 75% and has an amazing texture. (With no soy lecithin.) Endangered Species 88% is good too if you don't mind that it's not organic and has soy lecithin.
    The darker the better. I'll even go with an unsweetened chocolate from time to time. Yes, it's bitter, but sometimes that's what I'm feeling like.

Periwinkle is offline Senior Member
    Black and Green's 85% is organic and awesome. And doesnt have soy in it.
    It's just another day in paradise
    As you stumble to your bed
    You'd give anything to silence
    Those voices ringing in your head
    You thought you could find happiness
    Just over that green hill
    You thought you would be satisfied
    But you never will-
    Learn to be still
    -The Eagles

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    41g of carbohydrate translates into 164 calories. 48 grams of fat translates into 432 calories. Remember, you cannot burn stored fat until you burn through the dietary fat you eat first. If you are going to eat 600 calories worth of chocolate every day, that is a lot of calories you're going to have to burn through before you start losing any weight. And, if you're like most people that eat chocolate, you're not eating less meat and vegetables to save room for the chocolate. You're eating normal meals, then you're squeezing in hundreds of extra calories. You can eat the chocolate, but eventually your weight loss with plateau and the chocolate will have to go, or become much less frequent.

Weight loss is calorie-driven. Simply staying <100g of carbohydrate a day isn't going to help you if you're overconsuming fat. And that is a lot of fat in that chocolate.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Delang is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the replies.

I should have given some more inside information.

I'm not into the Primal Blueprint to lose weight. I'm actually a weightlifter and I'm on a calorie surplus of 500kcal a day. This means I eat 3300kcal a day. I've started this kind of dieting because I wanted to be as healthy as possible and this seems the way to go. My previous diet was loaded with dairy products and oatmeal and that had it's toll on my overall wellbeing.

The health benefits of dark chocolate are great, but what I want to know at what amount of consumption these benefits stop to exist.

Bare with me here My native language isn't English and I just started the PB for two weeks now.

Btw.
    This 78% is the highest percentage of chocolate I could get my hands on. I've looked into some online stores, but paying more for the chocolate and shipping costs, isn't something my budget allows me to do.

MeatSleepRepeat is offline Senior Member
    You can get an unsweetened chocolate locally and sweeten it yourself. budget friendly. Also takes time to do this, so maybe that'll be another deterrent to help you kick the habit.

PoeticPixe is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Periwinkle View Post
    Black and Green's 85% is organic and awesome. And doesnt have soy in it.
    This is also my favorite.
    Sleep is the best meditation.
    - H.H. 14th Dalai Lama

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast