Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2nd symptom of ketosis is - Sugar stupidity page

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member

2nd symptom of ketosis is - Sugar stupidity

Shop Now
    Hello!

So I've been struggling with low-carb and primal for a long while now and am an avid reader of primal/paleo/low carb forums. Something I see over and over again is that newbies and stumblers (like me) who are trying to lose weight get down to the "optimal carb" level hit ketosis for a day or two, don't feel hungry, eat lots of fat, and then do something really stupid. For me, today, it was taking a hit of grains and HFCS in a sandwich and chocolate shake at Arby's.

People describe this as a "carb craving" but that's not really how I experience it - it's not like I'm sitting here thinking "I'm thinking Arby's." It's a sudden spur of the moment decision to just ignore everything that's gone right over the last 48 hours and eat a roast beef sammich and a shake. It's like a foggy loss of control. The logical, "ask yourself if this decision aligns with your goals" is totally unhelpful because this is not a logical decision or action, it's like an instinctual action. If you've never experienced this it probably sounds a lot kooky, but I keep seeing this happen to a subset of us. I'm wondering what is living in my gut that takes control over my brain at these moments!

I was wondering if anyone had working theories on this.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like classic addiction. Ask an alcoholic why he picked-up a drink after long term sobriety and he will probably tell you the exact same thing you said in your post. I was talking to an alcoholic last week who, after 4 years of sobriety, was driving to his beach house and pulled into a liquor store. He got drunk and stayed that way for 3 years. Lost his wife, house and business. I asked him why did he do it, what were you thinking when you pulled into that liquor store? He said I wasn't thinking anything. I don't know why I did it, I just did. Very sad indeed.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    If you're used to something, and you deny it to yourself, the desire to get the fix will be stronger. It's like being a kid and seeing your parents give an unwanted toy to your sibling...you may not have wanted it before but you sure as hell do now.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Reindeer is offline Senior Member
    Carb cravings. For me, I don't think about it either - it's just a nagging feeling and a desire to satisfy it. When I started low-carb, my hands would just automatically grab a chocolate bar on the way out of the supermarket, barely even noticing it. It's really annoying.

PureFunctionalFitness is offline Senior Member
    try L-glutamine amino acid supplementation as a good and almost instant fix for the cravings when they occur, and supplementation with Chromium is a well used method to stabilise blood sugars, important when getting over food addiction. These can both work well to break the cycle

So 40 grams of L-glut or less, 45 mcg chromium picolate, PureFunctional?

Artbuc and Reindeer know what this is - it's not a mental craving, but a bodily one.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    Sounds like classic addiction. Ask an alcoholic why he picked-up a drink after long term sobriety and he will probably tell you the exact same thing you said in your post. I was talking to an alcoholic last week who, after 4 years of sobriety, was driving to his beach house and pulled into a liquor store. He got drunk and stayed that way for 3 years. Lost his wife, house and business. I asked him why did he do it, what were you thinking when you pulled into that liquor store? He said I wasn't thinking anything. I don't know why I did it, I just did. Very sad indeed.
    There's a whole chapter in the Big Book of AA that describes exactly this.

For alcoholics they suggest that if you are thinking hey a drink sounds good you should go talk to another alcoholic. So next time it happens to you, talk to another food addict.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    For me, it has always been a remembrance of the pleasurable taste. From a few lapses over the last couple of years, I have finally gotten through to a place where I know it won't be that pleasurable. My tastes have changed enough that the old flavors no longer hit the spot.

But I had to learn that the hard way.

sbhikes - A spur of the moment impulse to swing into Taco Bell doesn't leave much time for rationalizing with another food addict! We're not thinking. That's the problem.

Annlee - I hope the pleasure meter swings away from chocolate shakes eventually. That'd be great.

I do mindful meditation. It helps with willpower when my brain's engaged. I'm interested about when my rationality is not engaged!

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Maybe up your carbs with some healthy veg, fruit or sweet potato. Cary a fruit snack with you at all times and eat that instead.
    it may also not be a carb craving but rather some other processed ingredient that is calling you.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast