Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2nd symptom of ketosis is - Sugar stupidity page 3

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I've always believed that even people who normally eat VLC should "engage" their metabolism with a cab-up day every week or two to re-energize things. Maybe your body was just telling you it was time?

The tricky part here though, is when you get the bodily signal that it's time to carb-up, how can you do it without totally going overboard? Finding healthful ways to do so has always been the key to re-energizing yourself while not going overboard and staying on the straight and narrow in regards to your primal diet.

Rueben is offline Senior Member
    It may be your subconscious mind making you reach for this stuff.

Who knows why our subconscious does this but a good cheap way of changing it is through hypnosis. I have had fantastic results with "better willpower" using rick Collingwoos apps downloaded on my android phone. 5 bucks and I get a really good sleep too.

avelin is offline Senior Member
    I used to make a point of staring at the shelves of bread/sugar/dairy at the shops or in my pantry when I was feeling pretty good=no impulse at all to eat it. I'd tell myself that nothing appealed to me. I've kept that up to a certain extent so that it's kind of automatic. I would also take my time in the meat, fruit and veg areas.

These days, even if I've given myself 'permission' to indulge in something that I've been wanting for a few days, that I've mindfully gone to buy/make, I'll find myself staring at the shelves/ingredients and finding that the stuff in front of me just doesn't appeal to me... and I head over to the fruit and veg or meat sections where I drool. Same with coffee shop/restaurant stuff, stuff at service stations, kiosks etc.
    Evolutionary. Ideology that fits biology

avelin is offline Senior Member
    Oh yeah - sugar is the hard one for me too. It will get easier to control the sugar demon.
    Evolutionary. Ideology that fits biology

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    Try to be extra mindful of how you're feeling after you've succumbed to temptation. My guess is you'll be feeling pretty ropey if you've been eating clean for a good while?

Personally, I found that gradually the memory of how it makes me feel managed to somehow counteract the cravings. I still sometimes want to eat non primal stuff, but mostly thinking about how it is going to make me feel afterwards (bloated, crampy, fatigued..not to mention guilty, fat etc etc) is enough that I can't seem to quite make myself do it these days.

But don't give yourself a hard time - it took me a long time to get to that point. If you succumb, pick yourself up and dust yourself off and get back on the waggon pronto. It happened, and as soon as it has happened it's in the past. Over time it'll happen less frequently and less severely.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I keep an angry P.E. coach running in my mind. I let him yell at me when I'm about to make a bad decision. Usually sounds like, "Oh, so you WANT to grow a bumper crop of lumpy-face boils, do ya, Nancy?! Well go ahead, you weak-ass worm, eat it! Show me what a sick American looks like!" But sometimes I'll switch it to a wise Native American rambling words of wisdom in confusing metaphors to distract myself from the temptation.

I just gave up, for the most part, the ubiquitous free pizza. It was an enduring temptation, but now that I've assigned my coach to insulting it, it gets less and less appealing every time I encounter it. To really view it as poison, to mentally make that connection and KNOW that it is NOT FOOD, has made a big difference.

And don't forget we've been LIED TO by a greedy and corrupt intentional SYSTEM designed to kill us off early and keep us addicted to poison for profit. Don't forget how blind we were to the very shackles on our wrists. How DARE they have done this to us? Keep that boycott-laced anger smoldering in your mind. It is a weapon against the assault on our very being in this self-destruction-based economy.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member
    Oh yeah, spuggygirl, I feel terrible both physically and mentally after jumping into a jamocha shake! I like Drumroll's suggestion of planning the carb up every couple days in advance with something healthier than Taco bell. Would that nix the possibility of getting into ketosis? Or would it matter? I've read differing things about how to lose fat around here.

Rueben, I swear I read that you hypnotized yourself using a RickRoll app on your phone...

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Of course you have no willpower. That's the whole point. That's why you have to do something different.

Next time you find yourself on the way to Taco Bell or whatever (I did this when I wanted a snack at the little store near my office), instead of going inside, tell yourself you'll go run an errand first and then stop in for a treat on the way back. On the way back, tell yourself you'll pass by again later today and get your treat then. Just keep putting it off. This has worked for me.

For alcoholics or other addicts, they pick up the telephone and talk to another addict about it. If your problem is really truly bad, there are food addict programs out there.

But if you'd rather wallow in a pity party about your "cravings" and your lack of willpower, go ahead. Just ask yourself: how's that working out for you?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

Sanas is offline Senior Member
    Sarasue, I know what you're talking about. It feels like something like -- oh, I don't know, maybe the gut bacteria? stages an insurrection and before you even think to think about it rationally, you have a brownie in your mouth. There's something in the mind/body that relies on sugar, or wheat, and if you're tired, or stressed, or down, you might not see it coming in time to exert will power. Happened to me yesterday, because it snowed and was grey and gloomy and the lasagne that I made for ds and dh won.

I sometimes think it's related to brain chemicals (serotonin, maybe?) Your body knows you need that or you'll sink into a pit of despair and maybe kill yourself, and your body Does Not want that to happen. You've been denying yourself the familiar way to get the "I feel exhilarated" high (ie through sugar or wheat), and your body/mind isn't yet confident of being able to feel good processing fat. I've been at this long enough (two years) that now I know, on a deep unconscious level (maybe the gut bacteria are reassured?) that I will feel better more consistently if I don't snatch the brownie. We visited the in-laws recently for a week and for the first time in 20-25 years, I did not once eat of the plentiful cookies and cake. I do think that trying to stay in ketosis a lot has helped. I second what others have said about not wanting to lose the gains made in that direction helping with the impulse control.

I have thought from the beginning that the primal way of life is hard for people who have mood disorders. I'd like to think that everything heals with time, and it may be so. (It is a true fact that the gut is the primary producer of serotonin in the body.) Heal the guts, heal the brain.

Keep at it, you will gain mastery.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sarasue624 View Post
    Oh yeah, spuggygirl, I feel terrible both physically and mentally after jumping into a jamocha shake! I like Drumroll's suggestion of planning the carb up every couple days in advance with something healthier than Taco bell. Would that nix the possibility of getting into ketosis? Or would it matter? I've read differing things about how to lose fat around here.

Rueben, I swear I read that you hypnotized yourself using a RickRoll app on your phone...
    Whoa, whoa... Every couple of days? Unless you're doing some hardcore workouts (and sometimes even if you are, depending on your goals), that may be overdoing it. I do it once a week at MOST, sometimes even less. I just listen to my body and I know when it's time to carb-up.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast