Thread: Losing weight but not fat? page

metalpolo1 is offline Junior Member

Losing weight but not fat?

Primal Fuel
    Greetings all!

I was hoping to get some advice and critique about my current nutrition plan.

I have been going "somewhat" primal for 3 weeks or so now, I have seen results but not necessarily the results I'm looking for! i realize I'm new but still trying to see what works for me given my nutrition/workout plan. I'm 6'2" male and always had a fairly thin frame (swimmers body), and started at 171 or so and have dropped 9 pounds in the last 3 weeks. I'm not really looking to lose weight to be honest, my gain goal is just to lose as much fat as possible. It seems I've lost a maybe a little fat, but not really a noticeable difference. I'm also not interested in getting huge or building muscle really - just prefer to be more lean (less fat).

I have always eaten fairly healthy (I realize that is quite subjective), but have started to cut out grains all together (have noticed a nice improvement in my digestive functions etc). I also used to be big on Muscle Milk and protein bars for snacks but I've cut those out too.

Here's a typical days diet for me (atleast over the past 3 weeks or so):

Breakfast - 4eggs, cooked
    Snacks - pisatchios & a couple hard boiled eggs, snack on carrots throughout the day
    lunch - salad (lettuce, spinach, kale) with tuna and avocado
    snack - fruit (berries or bananas) and a couple hard boiled eggs
    aftnoon - salad (lettuce, spinach, kale) with tuna and avocado
    dinner - salad (lettuce, spinach, kale) with steak or chicken or chicken sausages (sometimes with guacamole)
    "desert" - almond butter.

I used to eat 3-4 bananas a day mainly for snacks, but I'm experimenting in cutting those back and just going with berries instead. I also do have a "cheat" day once a week, but i don't go too crazy - maybe some black beans, hummus, tortilla and maybe some arctic zero ice cream for desert.

I also tend to workout 5 to 6 times per week. Generally I run 10-11 miles or so a week, lift once or twice a week, yoga once a week, swim once a week and water polo once a week. Since beginning cutting out grains I do sometimes feel tired throughout the day but I'm always able to finish my workouts and still feel pretty strong - still lifting as much as I did before. I don't want to cut down on my workouts - i enjoy being active, even if its not necessarily helping me lose fat.

Maybe up the fat in take? I've always been pretty big on fruit (especially bananas) and wondering if thats holding me back.

So anyway - any guidance you could provide would be great and much appreciated!!

peril is offline Senior Member
    Buy The Primal Blueprint. Read it
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    If you are eating enough protien, losing weight, but not seeing the results in reduced measurements you are probably losing internal fat from round your organs - there's a proper word for that but you can reseach that for yourself
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    It has only been 3 weeks, it's tough to lose fat and see definition right away. Just keep doing what you've been doing. 3 weeks is nothing at all. I know you don't want to get big muscles but heavy weights really are useful. I'd suggest you lift more along with your usual routine. Maybe try intermittent fasting too?
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Damonner is offline Junior Member
    It is contradictory thing that is happening with your fat and weight as these two aspect of body is related to each other. If there is reduction in fat the weight too get reduced and hence directly proportional to each other. Just weigh properly and post again.

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    You're a 6'2" male. Started at 171 lbs and have lost 9 lbs putting you at around 162 lbs now? What do you imagine your ideal weight to be? What do you think your current body fat percentage is? Under 165 lbs is pretty light for a 6'2" frame no matter what the body type unless your still a teenager.
    Last edited by pace2race; 10-20-2012 at 05:28 AM.

PureFunctionalFitness is offline Senior Member
    If we agree that calories play at least some part in the equation, do you know what your calorie and macro nutrient intake is? snacks are fine, but realistically, if you are eating right, there shouldn't really be a desire or need to snack. What macro %'s are you trying to work with, you might well be too high on the protein and too low on the fat. The eggs must account for 40 grms of protein a day, if you are having another 2 tins of tuna, that'd be another 80 grms (you might be splitting the tin of course), then the steak, could be another 60-70 grms or more, all adds up.

I tend to like the 'moderate' protein thing rather than a shed load of protein, and it doesn't look from your workouts that you are really in muscle building mode, which is fine too.

Try to look at the macros, balance them out to a workable level and see how it goes.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    dude you are eating very low carb. You should probably include some sweet potatoes or plantains etc. For your height you WILL lose weight (but not fat if your fat ratio is high as well) eating with so little carbs. If cutting is your goal then push your exercise and weights, LHT's with shorter sets etc. Just a thought