Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight loss slowed to a halt - why??? page

PrimalJayne is offline Junior Member

Weight loss slowed to a halt - why???

Hi all

I have been primal for about 6 weeks now and in the beginning was losing just under a kilo a week but for the last 2 weeks my weight has not budged!! I have not had any wheat, legumes, grains but do have milk in my tea/coffee (max of 3 per day) and I use coconut sugar (1tsp per cup of tea/coffee). And I do use a little bit of cheese (just to sprinkle on eggs etc).

So why, why, why??? Example of today's food:

9-1pm: nothing cause I never really feel like food until then
    1pm: one egg omelette (no milk added), with fried onions and cut up steak a sprinkle of mozarella and some paleo mayonnaise.
    Snacks for work: a sausage and some almonds
    Dinner at work: cabbage stir-fry with onions and stir-fry beef mixed through. And a sprinkle of mozarella.
    2 cups of tea, 1 cup of coffee - with full fat milk and 1 tsp coconut sugar in each cup.

I have recently joined a gym and have started just doing stretches and strength training.

I work as a nurse so I'm not in a sedentary job - walk a lot!!

Could someone tell me what is going on??? Why has the weight loss slowed down so much???? What am I doing wrong.

Thanks.

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    sometimes my weight stalls inexplicably for long periods of time, even more than a month! But usually I have other signs that things are going well, like my clothes getting looser. I just try to be patient and not pin all my hopes & dreams on the scale number. The body is a complicated mechanism.

Timthetaco Guest
    Usually when I read one of these I'm-not-losing-weight threads, the person's just eating meat and non-starchy vegetables. Try starch. It's the new lettuce!

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    I have experienced the same thing! I was losing weight nicely and then... nothing... the stall has been going on for awhile, and I'll admit it's getting me down. I've been doing plenty of activity... but yeah. I think the only thing to do is keep sticking with it and just be patient!!

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    It's only been 6 weeks. Wait at least 6 months, then reassess. Getting your health back takes more than a few weeks of effort.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you're doing great. If strength training is new to you, then perhaps (hopefully) you are building muscle.

Therefore you could expect to be losing fat, gaining muscle and getting slimmer, while scale remains the same.

Try taking your own measurements, that would help confirm it for you.

If you are indeed trimming down then there is no need to worry about the weight.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timthetaco View Post
    Usually when I read one of these I'm-not-losing-weight threads, the person's.....
    .........not accounting that fluxes in water weight of up to 5lbs in each direction that can mimic actual fat loss or gain...especially in women! Your gonna have to take the long view. A couple of weeks without a budge in the scale means absolutely squat. Especially in the beginning there is some metabolic house cleaning to be done, so don't freak out. This is part of the reason Primal isn't suppose to be a crash diet.

PrimalJayne is offline Junior Member
    Thanks everyone - I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Starchy veg yes usually these are part of my meals most days, I LOVE kumara (sweet potato) and usually I will bake off a whole heap of kumara, pumpkin, carrots and parsnips and then live off these for a few days - with meat or chicken. Thought I needed a change so hence the cabbage and a few salads lately.

And yes, I apologise but I am one of those "on the scales" people. I have been overweight for soooo long and have been sooo thrilled at the initial weight loss - I really got my jollies from jumping on the scales everyday (yes, i said every day!) and watching the numbers go down, down, down.

However, I will take your collective advice and try and chillax about the numbers.

But, just before I go, one last question (OK there're 2 really!) Is milk really ok? just a little bit? and the coconut sugar? and the tiny, tiny sprinkles of cheese? (oops 3).

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    As to the scale....I still weigh myself every morning and evening. I'm freaking OCD. X-wrestler and I've done this since second grade (stepping on the scale that is). So don't feel bad about being a "scale person", but everything in context you know .

Your questions....I don't see any reason why those small amounts should be a problem for you. We all have a couple small vices we keep (well most of us). As far as they go, those are minor.

welk123 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    PrimalJane, could it be that you're not eating enough so your metabolism has slowed down? Maybe what you were eating at first was working for you, but now that you've added in some workouts, your body might want a little more fuel? Just a thought

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast