Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: No questions, just venting frustration .. maybe other women can relate ... page 5

catholicchick is offline Senior Member
    I know everyone says ditch the scale, but don't you think it's important if you are experimenting with legumes (as mentioned above) or dairy... name your experiment here.... to see how it affects you? I do find that using a measuring tape is the best for me, but I also like to see the scale inch down as well.
    Height - 5'8"
    SW - 191
    CW - 162
    GW - 155

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I go by whether my pants fit or not. Of course that has its own drawbacks as sometimes when they come out of the drier they seem tighter than usual so I put them on feeling crummy and within a couple hours they're all baggy again. But they don't always come out of the drier tight so what's the deal with that?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

Miscellangela is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I go by whether my pants fit or not. Of course that has its own drawbacks as sometimes when they come out of the drier they seem tighter than usual so I put them on feeling crummy and within a couple hours they're all baggy again. But they don't always come out of the drier tight so what's the deal with that?
    Everyone knows that dryers eat socks. Is it really so much of a stretch to think that they would go out of their way to sabotage your self esteem, too? I think not.

AmyMac703 is offline Senior Member
    I don't use the drier because that's 75 cents that I could use to get organic instead of regular (insert fruit/veggie of choice here). But generally yeah, I go by the mirror and whether or not my pants fit as far as body composition.
    I could be naive, but I can ascend anywhere from 1200' to 2200' vertical in an hour (depending on the trail grade and my pack weight), do a set of 4 chin-ups, bench press 125lbs, and run an 8 minute mile (not fast I know, but a decent pace), so I tend to not worry about how much I weigh.
    Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Some day maybe I can use my clothes as a guide. When I reach that point, I am throwing away everything elastic, well maybe except for my underwear.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

gempdx44 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimInGA View Post
    Bone structure has to make a HUGE difference. I am 5'9" and have a 5.5" wrist (not even listed on that link, at my height) ... 138 lbs yet a size 10 with ~25% BF! When I did a quick search for "weight by frame size", I found that there is a 20-30 lb difference in the weight range depending on whether you have a small, medium or large frame. And I know that there are people who have both smaller and bigger frames than even what is listed at that link, because I'm amongst the smaller. So maybe the practical weight range is more like 30-40 lbs difference, depending on frame size? That sounds reasonable.

I think it's got to be healthier to have a bigger frame. Surely your bones are less likely to shatter like matchsticks someday when you're 80? I wonder about this for myself, because my bones all seem so tiny. My nose is really skinny too, and I can hardly breathe out of it. Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not. Not a good thing though ... makes it quite difficult to sleep well or even breathe hard when working out!
    Oh wow - I am 5 inches shorter than you but my wrists are 6.25" - I guess it's no mystery why I am at 156.

I was talking to my mom over the weekend about this and she said that she always was heavier than she looked. Doctors, even, were surprised by how heavy she was for her size.

The silver lining to this - my mom is 83 years old and has never broken a bone. I am hoping I have the same good luck as I age!
    "For the great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie—deliberate, contrived, and dishonest—but the myth—persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic ... we enjoy the comfort of opinions without the discomfort of thought."
    ---John F. Kennedy

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    I'm 5'2" and my wrist measurement is 6.25". I've also never broken a bone (does cracking a rib at age 12 from falling off stilts count?) I can ice skate without lacing the skates tight around my ankles. People usually guess I weigh less than I really do.

It's not what's on the scale that counts--it's health. There are plenty of skinny-fat people who are pre-diabetic without knowing it, and who can't lift a 25lb. bag of pet food.

I'll take being healthy and strong!

trob1234 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gempdx44 View Post
    Hi.

I am driving myself crazy with the scale and comparing myself to what others weigh. You would think at my age I would know better not to compare myself to others but apparently not, because I have been in a funk all day.

I'm 45 years old, 5'4" and for the life of me ... I cannot get below 150 pounds! Actually, I was 156 pounds this morning. I lift weights 2-3 times a week. I do HIIT 1-2 times a week. I try to incorporate as much slow movement as I can while having a desk job. I eat at a deficit, usually 1400-1600 calories a day. I eat whole foods and very little sugar or alcohol. I am hypo, but on Synthroid and feel great other than my weight.

Last time I had my bodyfat measured I was 23.8%, down from 31% when I started training in December. I know I should not worry about the scale, but for fuck's sake - 156 pounds?

Can it really be that my bones just "weigh more"? I always thought that was a load of crap my mom fed me, but when I see other women with similar bodies to mine that weigh 130 I have to wonder.

Anyone else out there feel like they weigh much more than they should? I never thought I'd be a size 6 at 156 pounds, but I am and sometimes - a size 4. That just seems so weird.

I feel your pain. I am 43 5'6" 133 lbs and wear a size 2 and when I was in my 20's didnt work out and had no muscle and in a size 2 I was 104 lbs. If I were 104 lbs now I would look sick. Muscle weighs alot. Relax

Roary is offline Senior Member
    Fascinating topic -- just goes to show that weight and size are irrelevant. For the record, I'm "dense" too : 5'10' 175 lbs (I think -- I'm weighed at infrequent dic visits). I wear a size six or eight. People routinely guess my weight at 140 ... I couldn't care less what the scale says.

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gempdx44 View Post
    Hi.

I am driving myself crazy with the scale and comparing myself to what others weigh. You would think at my age I would know better not to compare myself to others but apparently not, because I have been in a funk all day.

I'm 45 years old, 5'4" and for the life of me ... I cannot get below 150 pounds! Actually, I was 156 pounds this morning. I lift weights 2-3 times a week. I do HIIT 1-2 times a week. I try to incorporate as much slow movement as I can while having a desk job. I eat at a deficit, usually 1400-1600 calories a day. I eat whole foods and very little sugar or alcohol. I am hypo, but on Synthroid and feel great other than my weight.

Last time I had my bodyfat measured I was 23.8%, down from 31% when I started training in December. I know I should not worry about the scale, but for fuck's sake - 156 pounds?

Can it really be that my bones just "weigh more"? I always thought that was a load of crap my mom fed me, but when I see other women with similar bodies to mine that weigh 130 I have to wonder.

Anyone else out there feel like they weigh much more than they should? I never thought I'd be a size 6 at 156 pounds, but I am and sometimes - a size 4. That just seems so weird.
    I think a good way to look at this is to ask yourself this question:

Would you be questioning the how/whys like you are about your weight if someone thought you were 30 instead of the 45 year old you are? I think not. I think you would be flattered.I think you would relish the fact that you do not look your age.

So my take- be flattered, be grateful, that you can weigh what you weigh, wear the sizes you do, don't look the standard/typical size and know the scale is a blatant liar.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast