Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To stay in ketosis page

Kinesio is offline Junior Member

Question To stay in ketosis

Shop Now
    I am working my way towards a diet I can rely on to be in ketosis and remain there for 30 days. Mark talks about eating lots of colorful fruits and veggies. I understand the goal is to be under 50g of carbs a day but of that 50, can 1/2 be in the form of sugar and I would still remain in ketosis? An apple a day is really what I'm curious about. I believe it to be around 20g of sugar. I'm planning my daily diet because I have to and it needs to be fairly reliable. I've noticed some people on these forums don't eat too much fruit and veggies even though mark recommends it. My goal is 25lb weight loss. And again I'm curious about an apple a day. TIA!

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    I would just try it and see how you do. If you don't lose weight, cut back. Also, berries have less sugar, so if the apple hampers your weight-loss, move to berries. It really is different for everyone.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

jakey is offline Senior Member
    you can eat an apple each and every day. you can eat an apple each and every day and lose weight. you can eat an apple each and every day and stay in ketosis. you can eat an apple each and every day and not worry about ketosis, since it's not necessary for weightloss. and finally, you can eat an apple each and every day, and eat too much other food, and not lose weight. so don't do that.

Credodisi is offline Senior Member
    Where are you reading that Mark recommends being under 50 carbs and in ketosis? I think his carbohydrate curve recommends 50 - 100 range for effortless weight loss...

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Credodisi View Post
    Where are you reading that Mark recommends being under 50 carbs and in ketosis? I think his carbohydrate curve recommends 50 - 100 range for effortless weight loss...
    Mark does recommend 50 - 100g of carbs per day as the effortless weight loss sweet spot, but goes on to say
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sisson
    0-50 grams/day – Ketosis and Accelerated Fat Burning

Acceptable for a day or two of Intermittent Fasting towards aggressive weight loss efforts, provided adequate protein, fat and supplements are consumed otherwise. May be ideal for many diabetics. Not necessarily recommended as a long-term practice for otherwise healthy people due to resultant deprivation of high nutrient value vegetables and fruits.
    How many carbs should I eat each day? | Mark's Daily Apple

I often drop into ketosis without intending to, just due to the fact that at the moment sweet potatoes are so expensive here that I'm just eating meat/fish/eggs and veggies. However, I do usually eat an orange, a banana and some berries on most days, but that doesn't seem to knock me too far out of ketosis if at all.

Of course ymmv as I the amount of carbs you need for ketosis varies from person to person.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Credodisi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post

Of course ymmv as I the amount of carbs you need for ketosis varies from person to person.
    Yes. I do agree with this. I'm also do not worry about dropping into ketosis or being in ketosis.... I have just been finding personally that my own weightless seems to be better served by trying to keep total carbs in check around 50 - 70' rather than trying to keep them under 50.

To the OP, I think I have been in ketosis previously while eating full fat yogurt with berries for breakfast... Those carbs come in around 30 I think. Again, I wasn't concerning myself with staying in ketosis, but just trying (successfully) to lose weight.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    a serving of fage is 8 carbs. you'd need over 200 gms of blackberries to get up over 30 carbs. impressive!
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Important note: the ONLY reason why ketosis seems to accelerate fat loss is there is very, very little food reward to a ketogenic diet. There is only so much steak and eggs to eat. Without a starch or vegetable, it makes eating not very palatable. This leads to a reduction of food because, frankly, it's not a very tasty diet. This all comes down to a caloric deficit, and if ketosis is working for your weight loss, it's solely because food has become more bland and boring and you're consuming less of it.

If you are going to be miserable eating a ketogenic diet because you love fruits and vegetables, don't do it. A miserable diet is not sustainable. Find what works for you so you can stick to it for life, and if you increase carbohydrate, remember to reduce fat in kind or it'll just wind up increasing your calorie intake.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    you can eat an apple each and every day. you can eat an apple each and every day and lose weight. you can eat an apple each and every day and stay in ketosis. you can eat an apple each and every day and not worry about ketosis, since it's not necessary for weightloss. and finally, you can eat an apple each and every day, and eat too much other food, and not lose weight. so don't do that.
    Ha! Love this response! So many choices.......
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

Heatherly is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    Love this! Will never give up my honey crisp apple addiction and I did eat one every day for the last 30 and lost 10 lbs. woo hoo!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast