Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird ingredients! page

honeybuns is offline Senior Member

Weird ingredients!

Primal Fuel
    What are the weirdest ingredients you have seen in a food? I'm not talking all those chemicals that no one can pronounce anyway but the ones that make you say "why would they put THAT in there?". Here are a couple of examples I have seen myself.

Wood rosin in sparkling lemonade
    Wheat flour in ice cream

Anything else?
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    The label on butter: Contains Milk.

Remember when they used to put sardines in OJ? Do they still do that? I haven't bought Tropicana in ages.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I keep wondering why they need potato starch in chorizo and cellulose in sardines.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

keithpowers is offline Senior Member
    Gum arabic in Mountain Dew.
    The same gum arabic, I might add, that I formerly coated onto offset lithography printing plates to prevent scratches and oxidation... that's gotta be SPECTACULAR, mixed with brominated vegetable oil and yellow #5.
    Peak weight on Standard American Diet: 316.8 lbs
    Initial Weight When Starting Primal: 275 lbs
    Current weight: 210.8 lbs
    Goal weight: 220 lbs (or less): MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

The way "ChooseMyPlate.gov" should have looked:
    ChooseMyPlate

waterjen is offline Member
    I don't know so much about kooky ingredients, but the labeling sometimes cracks me up. A pal of mine was recently eating from a jar of peanut butter with granola in it. Cannot remember the brand, but I seem to think it was banana-flavored granola. The label said, very proudly: Natural Flavorings with Other Natural Flavorings.
    What??? Really???

PrimalPumpkin is offline Senior Member
    Not sure about weird but I just discovered they put "natural flavoring" a.k.a MSG in unsalted butter. Why???? Butter needs nothing but it's own buttery good flavor!!!!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I was in the mood for a salty snack, so I picked up a bag of pork rinds. Soy oil. Really? In freaking pork rinds? And so my little mantra of not eating anything that comes in a box, can, or bag still stands.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I was in the mood for a salty snack, so I picked up a bag of pork rinds. Soy oil. Really? In freaking pork rinds? And so my little mantra of not eating anything that comes in a box, can, or bag still stands.
    I wonder what they're doing with the pork fat that makes it cheaper to buy soy oil? They've got to be selling it for more than the soybean oil or it wouldn't even make economic sense.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Xanthan gum in fucking everything. Bastards.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    I wonder what they're doing with the pork fat that makes it cheaper to buy soy oil? They've got to be selling it for more than the soybean oil or it wouldn't even make economic sense.
    That's probably it. Maybe also people eating SAD will think it's healthier? I'm not sure, but it doesn't seem so long ago that soy was not an ingredient listed on a bag of pork rinds. While I don't eat them often, I have checked ingredients before, and this was new to me.

Here's a recipe I found:

To make cracklins, the pork meat will be cut with the skin, fat and some meat attached. Old Cajuns generally used x inch thick pieces. As you will be cooking with water and letting the cracklins cook in their own grease, make sure that your pot size fits the amount of meat being cooked.

Fill your pot with water to one quarter of the depth of the pot. Note this is not one quarter inch, a mistake I had once made. Bring the water to a boil. Place the pork pieces in the water and keep a strong fire going. The water will dissolve the fat and also evaporate leaving the pork pieces to cook in their own melted grease (lard). Fry the pieces until light and golden brown. As the cracklins can turn hard it is important not to overcook them. True Cajun cracklins are supposed to be very crunchy and firm to hard in texture. If you do overcook them and they become hard, they will still be edible with the same great flavor just not as easy to chew.

If the pork pieces are mainly skin and meat, it would be ok to fry as you would the pork rinds and not have to use the water. The water as mentioned is an important agent used to help melt the fat.

Remove to paper towels for draining and immediately season the cracklins. To preserve the flavor and freshness, store in an airtight container.
    Source: Real Cajun Recipes : : Cracklins /Grattons and Pork Rinds /Baconettes

But I'm guessing the real way would be too labor intensive and they might lose a penny of profit per bag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast