Thread: New to Primal Lifestyle - Now hospitalized with bowel obstruction page

LizF is offline Junior Member

New to Primal Lifestyle - Now hospitalized with bowel obstruction

Primal Fuel
    I cut out all the grains and sugars out of my diet for three weeks, while eating more organically, more fruits and veggies. I found giving up the sugars and grains pretty easy, but hard to eat protein on the go so was having a lot of nuts and cheese. I probably lost about 10 pounds over the last 3 weeks.

My problem began last Saturday when I woke with extreme pain from a small bowel obstruction. My last day I ate alot of mixed nuts ( cashew, almonds, pecans, hazelnut and Brazilian nuts), free range steak with a sweet potato. Today is the first day I am allowed to eat, clear liquids only with broth, jello and apple juice. Tomorrow I start just liquids for several days before I advance to solid foods. When I'm allowed to eat again, I'm not allowed nuts, uncooked veggies or fruit. I'll be in the hospital for over a week.

How has this happened to anyone? Any suggestions to a newbie who can't eat raw veggies and fruit? Any suggestions for the hospital stay or liquid diets?

When home, I have a vitamix and can make smoothies.

Thank you,
    Liz

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    First thing I would want to know. Is this something that has been building up for days, weeks, or months and is it diet related or would it likely have happened no matter what. It may be just coincidence that it occurred after a diet change. It may not even be diet related. For the moment just follow their instructions to get yourself cleared.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Sorry I have no suggestions for you, but read your story and hope you start to feel better soon.