Thread: Doctor is doubtful about Primal eating, yet the numbers don't lie page

Pilatesmom is offline Member

Doctor is doubtful about Primal eating, yet the numbers don't lie

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I mentioned to my doctor that I have changed my diet to a Primal/paleo one and he asked if I was eating lots of grains. Okay, wow, he has no idea what I mean. So I tell him what I am eating and that I have been doing so for about 6 weeks. I went in for another reason, but my weight is down about 10 lbs since my last visit and my blood pressure was amazing! 102 over 58!! I mean, it was good before, but this was really good.

He then tells me that it sounds a lot like Atkins (not entirely false) and that most people get tired of it and will revert to their old ways with those kind of diets. I have been sick with a good old fashioned virus (cold) and have not tried to comfort myself with the SAD and am really proud. While on weight watchers, comfort eating and falling off the wagon was a way of life for me. I could never follow it. THIS, I can follow. So, for a Dr. that is East/West (he is both), I am very disappointed with his lack of support. Anyone else experience this? Only makes me that much more determined!

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    There is a lot of misinformation out there about diets. Considering the amount of nutrition training MDs get, I'm not surprised by his lack of knowledge. If you are consistent with your doctor and show them the amount of vegetables most eat, he will eventually come around if he is open minded enough. Like you said the numbers don't lie.

Docs are going to be CW, and you're not going to sway them. You may impress them with improving measurables, but I'd keep your description of diet pretty simple, just say you've cut out processed foods, sugar, and refined carbs (we know that means grains), and keep it at that.

I've pretty much taken that approach, and my doc keeps telling me to keep on doing whatever I'm doing. She's said she's noticed a marked improvement, so I just kind of let her keep thinking I'm eating low-fat.

chinchiller is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    Docs are going to be CW, and you're not going to sway them. You may impress them with improving measurables, but I'd keep your description of diet pretty simple, just say you've cut out processed foods, sugar, and refined carbs (we know that means grains), and keep it at that.

I've pretty much taken that approach, and my doc keeps telling me to keep on doing whatever I'm doing. She's said she's noticed a marked improvement, so I just kind of let her keep thinking I'm eating low-fat.
    But then there's the flip-side. By letting your doctor assume that you're eating a low-fat diet, you are validating the SAD for him and he's more than pleased to pass on the information to his next patient due to your fantastic results. It's lose-lose.

Quote Originally Posted by chinchiller View Post
    But then there's the flip-side. By letting your doctor assume that you're eating a low-fat diet, you are validating the SAD for him and he's more than pleased to pass on the information to his next patient due to your fantastic results. It's lose-lose.
    I've considered that. I think when I get to my optimal weight/measurables and maintain for a while, I'll clue her in. A few years of positive and stable results, what's she gonna say?