Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How bad is regular whole milk?? page

samiamm is offline Senior Member

How bad is regular whole milk??

Primal Fuel
    I was using coconut milk to make my protein shakes, and "egg" shakes, but it is getting expensive, what would be cheaper alternative?

Pilatesmom is offline Member
    I use unsweetened almond milk

steve.mull is offline Member
    Steak

There's a whole range of opinions on this, and no easy answer. If dairy does not upset your digestion, then I'm inclined to say it's no big deal. Mark put out a post a few weeks ago about the spectrum of choices with meat, fish, veggies, etc., and IMO the best to worst would go: local, pastured, raw > local, pastured, pasteurized, un-homogenized > local, pastured, pasteurized, homogenized >> store-bought, organic >> store-bought, regular; and of course, whole > skim > NF.

Check out Dr. Cate Shanahan's discussion of milk in Deep Nutrition.

I tend not to use a lot of milk per se, but heavy cream, sour cream, yogurt, and cheese - yep. Fortunate to live in a state that allows (begrudgingly) raw milk sales and has several venues closeby where I can get some.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnegans Wake View Post
    There's a whole range of opinions on this, and no easy answer. If dairy does not upset your digestion, then I'm inclined to say it's no big deal. Mark put out a post a few weeks ago about the spectrum of choices with meat, fish, veggies, etc., and IMO the best to worst would go: local, pastured, raw > local, pastured, pasteurized, un-homogenized > local, pastured, pasteurized, homogenized >> store-bought, organic >> store-bought, regular; and of course, whole > skim > NF.

Check out Dr. Cate Shanahan's discussion of milk in Deep Nutrition.

I tend not to use a lot of milk per se, but heavy cream, sour cream, yogurt, and cheese - yep. Fortunate to live in a state that allows (begrudgingly) raw milk sales and has several venues closeby where I can get some.

I just need something to mix my powder or some eggs in, that will digest and release slowly. That takes water out.

Quote Originally Posted by samiamm View Post
    I just need something to mix my powder or some eggs in, that will digest and release slowly. That takes water out.
    That's my spectrum of choices, but if you're OK with rBGH and what homogenization does to the fats, go for the cheap stuff. If you can afford organic or best of all local raw, I think those are superior choices. JMO.

That's my spectrum of choices, but if you're OK with rBGH and what homogenization does to the fats, go for the cheap stuff. If you can afford organic or best of all local raw, I think those are superior choices. JMO.
    I wouldn't even know where to find local raw around here, is there any organic brand of any type of milk you can recommend??

Maybe someone else can offer an organic rec; I know there are some issues with Stonyfield, but that's what we usually get when buying store-organic.

For local sources (some, not all, raw), check eatwild.com or localharvest.org.

Maybe someone else can offer an organic rec; I know there are some issues with Stonyfield, but that's what we usually get when buying store-organic.

For local sources (some, not all, raw), check eatwild.com or localharvest.org.

Wow, thanks for this!!!

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Like Finnegans Wake, I recommend trying to find local, grassfed, raw dairy.

But if your only option is the grocery store, here is another resource: The Cornucopia Institute

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast