Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How bad is regular whole milk?? page 2

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I read bad things somewhere about Horizon Organic's treatment of their cows. I buy Stonyfield whole milk yogurt (as a treat, I wouldn't advise relying too heavily on dairy for calories, I don't see it as healthy but as an indulgence that keeps me sane) because raw milk sales are illegal in Ohio and the area I live in is pretty down-and-out, not much demand for high-quality food; I'm lucky to find organic dairy at my local supermarket. Organic Valley sells pasture-raised cream I buy sometimes, I'm sure they sell milk, too.

I'm not sure I'd recommend adding daily milk drinking to your routine if you currently don't drink milk. I used almond milk til I noticed the slew of weird ingredients in it ("locust bean gum" etc.). I've been wanting to try hemp milk, anyone know anything about it?

future grogess is offline Junior Member
    Whole milk is for baby calfs, and not designed for human consumption

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by samiamm View Post
    I wouldn't even know where to find local raw around here, is there any organic brand of any type of milk you can recommend??
    where to buy
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

statikcat is offline Senior Member
    It is not cheaper but I am really enjoying kefir with my protein powder lately. Typically, protein powder, kefir, half a banana, and some berries in the blender tastes amazing.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    If cow's milk is the option you're going for, the thing that got me to switch to at least bgh free half and half is this. BGH makes the cows produce more milk. This makes them prone to infections. Not only do these infections necessitate the use of antibiotices, but it gets pus in the milk. Yes pus. You can check out the USDA website; they admit it's there. It's not a lot, but once I knew that, I couldn't drink regular milk again. Since I only use half and half in the drinkable category of milk, I'm not prone to driving out into the country to try to find a farmer that would sell me raw milk which is illegal in my state anyway. So, I do the best I can by buying BGH free half and half.

I would check out the nutrition profiles of things like almond milk and rice milk. Though not as inexpensive as conventionally produced cow's milk, they work in things like smoothies and sauces. Once you find the one or two you like, you can use Amazon to order in quantity to save money.

MouthDR is offline Senior Member
    US commercial dairy:

(a) uses rBGH in their cattle
    (b) uses high dose antibiotics to treat the cows, which frequently suffer mastitis among other ailments
    (c) has such a high estrogen content that it approaches that which Dr.'s prescribe post-menopausal women for HRT (taken from Loren Cordain's newest book, The Paleo Answer) - it should be noted that HRT for post-menopausal women is know to be a risk factor for breast cancer and if you make the connection, prostate and testicular cancer for me

Even with just those answers alone, I wouldn't be drinking the stuff.

Milk is for calves, not human beings.

Rochxyde is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by future grogess View Post
    Whole milk is for baby calfs, and not designed for human consumption
    To add onto this, I've read that the size of the proteins in cow's milk are suitable for a calf to consume and use to grow, but too big for our bodies to actually use. The milk with the proteins closest to the size we can use would be goat's milk.

Also, isn't milk net acidic in our bodies? Meaning instead of helping to build strong bones, it leaches calcium from them?

MouthDR is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochxyde View Post
    To add onto this, I've read that the size of the proteins in cow's milk are suitable for a calf to consume and use to grow, but too big for our bodies to actually use. The milk with the proteins closest to the size we can use would be goat's milk.

Also, isn't milk net acidic in our bodies? Meaning instead of helping to build strong bones, it leaches calcium from them?
    Yes, it is acidic.

I don't think the size of the proteins is in question. That may be true, but it would likely be coincidental. I think if we look at it from a common sense perspective, the amount of body mass that a calf puts on when consuming its mothers milk is astonishing. And to think that a human would consume that every day and think it's OK? It can't be.

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    Milk works for me, and I'm slowly losing weight doing primal with kefir in my smoothie and a glass of milk with dinner. I buy low temperature pasturized unhomogenized milk from pastured Jersey cows for drinking and raw milk from the same source for making kefir and sometimes cheese. Jerseys are more likely to have the healthier protein than the black and white spotted holsteins and pastured cows give milk much higher in omega 3 than predominantly grain fed cows.

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    I am finding out that milk (cow's milk) does not agree with me at all. Cream doesn't seem to bother me.

Milk causes me to have a full head cold within the hour.

Anyone else have experience of this?
    2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Train hard, eat well and love life

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12