Thread: Please help page

DanWebster is offline Member

Please help

Shop Now
    So....I have been trying to live/eat primal ffor a few months now, however my wife is having a harder time. she is finding it a bit over whelming and hard to get into the groove and make it a part of our family's (twin 2 year old boys as well) lifestyle. she recently discovered paleo mom and is going to explore that a bit more for some more help and guidance...does anyone else out there have any suggestions for good blogs/sites for primal living that are based on a busy mom's point of view? ones that perhaps can steer us towards a healthier lifestyle but also give her some good tips on groceries, snaks for the twins, things to have in the freezer etc etc etc.

also if anyone knew of a resource like this that was also canadian that would help out as well..as often I find the groceries and items suggested for american readers are not often available up here....yet...

thanks everyone for your help.

cheers

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    everydaypaleo.com
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 -2 day fast diet with real food every day

DanWebster is offline Member
    thank you

Rochxyde is offline Junior Member
    Paleoista Book Nell Stephenson Simon & Schuster | Paleoista

If I remember correctly, this author should provide tips on how to incorporate paleo into a busy modern life, maybe not so much including kids, but it could be a start.

I don't have kids myself, but a co-worker who does who is trying to eat more paleo shared what I thought was a fantastic snack idea (if you're eating dairy):
    take a cheese stick and wrap a few slices of deli meat around it. You can eat it like that or then wrap it in part of a romain lettuce leaf. Something quick, easy, and hopefully 2 yr old friendly.

Also, as it is overwhelming, just focus on eating the right things, in general. Then try to get those things from the best sources, if you can afford it (organic, free-range, etc...).

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    As well as Everyday Paleo I should think Diane Sanfilippo's (spelling?) Site might be worth a look.

I don't know what it's called, but her book sounds very practical, with tear-out shopping lists and whatnot, so she seems like someone who's switched on in this area.

Where are you, though, Dan? You say you're not in the US and would prefer local resources but you don't say which country you are in.

CrazyCatLady is offline Member
    Help her find some good paleo crock pot recipes (and cook them for her.)

Search "paleo lunchbox" for lots of ideas for what to serve to kids for school lunches, they will also work for snacks.

For meals, I usually search online with whatever meat I have, and with the word primal or paleo in the front.

Make a list of meals that can be prepared with different meats that you all like. So, say you have chicken, make a list of: Chicken soup, Thia Chicken Soup (with curry), Stir Fry, Curry, grilled salad, taco salad....etc. Do this with all of the meats you eat, and it will make it a lot easier to figure out what to eat a given night based on what you have had lately and what you have available. I like to make a big roast on the weekend, then use the left overs to make the meals above. Having the meat already cooked cuts down on prep time.

CrazyCatLady is offline Member
    Help her find some good paleo crock pot recipes (and cook them for her.)

Search "paleo lunchbox" for lots of ideas for what to serve to kids for school lunches, they will also work for snacks.

For meals, I usually search online with whatever meat I have, and with the word primal or paleo in the front.

Make a list of meals that can be prepared with different meats that you all like. So, say you have chicken, make a list of: Chicken soup, Thia Chicken Soup (with curry), Stir Fry, Curry, grilled salad, taco salad....etc. Do this with all of the meats you eat, and it will make it a lot easier to figure out what to eat a given night based on what you have had lately and what you have available. I like to make a big roast on the weekend, then use the left overs to make the meals above. Having the meat already cooked cuts down on prep time.

Edited to add:

I tend to still make the same foods I used to make, but I take out the grains and put in vegis. So when I make spaghetti, I fry or nuke some summer squash (sometimes with cheese on top) and put the sauce on that. I just put more vegis in the stir fries to make up for the lack of rice. Tonight we are having a crock pot pot roast with collards from the garden (would be cabbage and others if I didn't have the collards.)