Thread: Omega 3 oil - how much to take? page

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member

Omega 3 oil - how much to take?

Shop Now
    So I'm currently taking Schiff Omega 3 krill oil, I take two capsules a day. I really don't get the opportunity to eat much fish or seafood. I don't seem to digest fish very well, and seafood is expensive so that's usually a once in awhile indulgence for me.

So is taking the two krill oils a day good enough, or should I take one with every meal?

Misti is offline Member
    How many grams of omega-3 are in each capsule?

You probably want (from what I have read) to get about 2 grams of omega-3 per day.
    Misti
    Grain Free since 2009, WP from 2005
    ~100% primal (because anything less makes me very sick)
    Goal: hike across Sweden with my grandchildren when I retire in a few years

It says there is 90mg of O3 per capsule.

workinprogress is offline Senior Member
    Save some money, buy either fish oil pills or an Algae DHA pill. As I understand, a good portion of the Krill oil research has been misconstrued by the Marketers. If you buy the fish oil or algae dha, you will be able to get the higher doses needed more economically. Or just get some tins of sardines.
    I am by no means an expert, so if I'm wrong hopefully someone with better education on the subject will chime in.

Well, I bought a bunch of krill oil from vitacost, so I have plenty on hand to be used up until I can buy cheaper fish oil. In the mean time, I just want to know how much I should take daily to bring the inflammation down. Most of my meats are not grassfed or pastured because of finances. I buy grassfed when I can, but it's not often.

Primal Papa is offline Senior Member
    I take prescription Lovazza.... and it is 4 pills a day. So that is 4 grams a day - but mine is to help lower already high cholesterol levels. At least I know it is pure, and what I paid for. I don't trust those over the counter companies.
    Start Date 9.24.12
    Starting weight 285ish ( scale is acting funny so I don't trust it, but 285 is close )
    CW - 271 pounds
    First Goal - 255 by 2013
    Main Goal - To be healthy for my family... I have an awesome family.
    Other Goal - to get off some medications
    Final goal - to get to about 180 pounds by 2014
    NEW GOAL - When I can start a new journal called "Your dad is not so fat!"

Your Dad is So Fat

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    I take 6g (6 softgels of the brand I buy) of Fish Oil daily--more if I happen to binge on nuts or something that day. I read that number in some CW health magazine, but it seems to work for me. I bought this "double strength" Fish Oil (twice as much omega-3 content per capsule, so I take 3/day) that I'm not a big fan of, I wish I hadn't bought 3 jars of it, but I'm working through it. I thought maybe less softgels would be healthier but its more denatured and I don't like that. I'll be going back to the regular strength version when I run out.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChance View Post
    I take 6g (6 softgels of the brand I buy) of Fish Oil daily--more if I happen to binge on nuts or something that day. I read that number in some CW health magazine, but it seems to work for me. I bought this "double strength" Fish Oil (twice as much omega-3 content per capsule, so I take 3/day) that I'm not a big fan of, I wish I hadn't bought 3 jars of it, but I'm working through it. I thought maybe less softgels would be healthier but its more denatured and I don't like that. I'll be going back to the regular strength version when I run out.
    K, so I could certainly stand to take more then. Thanks for your help!

shep68 is offline Senior Member
    I researched this quite extensively a few months back and wish I could find links to all the sites I visited, but here is the jist of what I learned:

1) Omega 3 is what you're really after in fish oil both EPA and DHA. A healthy person needs around 1000mg combined EPA/DHA per day. Those with heart or cholesterol issues 2000mg per day.
    2) Avoid grocery store, over the counter fish oils. They may say 1000 or 1200mg but 70% of it is "bad" fish oil. In other words the fatty part of the fish you don't need but they use to fill the gel caps.
    3) You want a good pharmaceutical grade fish oil as close to pure as you can get.
    4) Some other cheaper foods you can eat high in Omega 3 are cauliflower, cabbage, pecans, avocados, romaine lettuce, zucchini, brussels sprouts, kale and olives/olive oil.

I shopped around and this is what I purchased: Amazon.com: #1 Omega 3 Fish Oil Capsules - Triple Strength Omega 3 GOLD - 1200mg, 180 Softgels (Contains 1,060 mg of Omega 3 per Softgel) (Pharmaceutical Grade) (1000mg EPA + DHA): Health & Personal Care

I take 2 caps per day for 2000mg so one jar is a 3 month supply which is good for the price....little over $10/mo. Hope this helps.