Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting weights today page

sbhikes is online now Senior Member

Starting weights today

Primal Fuel
    I'm going to start weight training today. I'm hiring a personal trainer to teach me how to lift the free weights. Then I will decide if I want to join the gym or just by some weights and do it at home. I have two questions here:

1. Do you think that lifting weights will help me slim down or will I simply stay the same size but just become more muscular?

2. Do you have any suggestions for what I should be sure to ask the trainer? I'm hoping to get a good idea of how to use the equipment properly/good form, how heavy I should start with, perhaps how any of the lifts can be modified to work with dumbells (I see they make dumbells with plates you can exchange), and maybe what core lifts I should do for generally building all-over strength. Anything else I should make sure to ask?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Okay, well, I had my training. It was fun! I think I'm going to enjoy doing this weight training. The assisted pullup machine was really fun. I've never done a pullup in my entire life, not even in Jr. High when we had to do those state fitness assessment tests and you were supposed to be able to do 2 of them. I won't even tell you how pathetically much weight I had to put on the thing, but hey, gotta start somewhere.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Good luck. This should make you more muscular at more or less the same size, which will make you look slimmer. It'll make you stronger too.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    awesome.

focusing on the big lifts will hit everything you need. deadlifts, squats, bench/push up, pull ups...they all work several areas, including the core. but you definitely want to lift heavy, so sticking with the gym is a good idea unless you want to buy a barbel and plates. dumbbells will only get you so far, so if you decide to work out at home, ask the trainer (if you meet again) about ways to incorporate them into body weight moves to make them more difficult (i.e. weighted bulgarian squats).

weight training should definitely help you slim down a little, but your weight may not change. you may just get leaner and stronger, but you won't really know until you've been doing it for a bit.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Glad you enjoyed it! I can't wait to get settled in our new home and start hitting the weights again. You should find that you'll slim down inches wise. I've had many people say I look like I've lost more than the 20lbs I have and the only exercise I do is lifting and playing soccer.

I don't really care what I actually weigh as in the number on the scale. Scales vary so much anyway. I went decades without ever looking at one. I'd even turn away and not look at the doctor's office. I only look now because whenever you ask a question around here everybody wants to know how much you weigh and your body fat. I don't really know what my body fat is. I know there's a lot of it.

The trainer said that lifting heavy with fewer repetitions would not make me as sore as my exercise class where we do a lot of repetitions with and without weights. Is that true that I won't end up as sore all the time? I'm really sick of lowering my aching self down to the toilet by holding on to the sink. I'm not sore at all after today. It feels like I didn't do much at all.

CE402 is online now Senior Member
    No.

DOMs is a funny thing. It depends on rest, nutrition, phase of the moon, and position of Saturn.

I've had PR deadlift days where I was fine the next day; I've had squat sessions where I was walking like Frankenstein's monster for 3 days.

Give it 24 hours. Activity is your friend, get the blood flowing to the stiff areas, and try foam rolling.

But high weight, low rep is your friend if you're looking to get strong and lean. A weight that is heavy enough you can only handle 3-5 reps. And progressive overload. You're in the novice phase, you should be able to add weight each session.

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    Starting Strength is a great reference for learning how and why you perform a lift the proper way. In a an extremely, overly detailed way Rip explains how the bar needs to pulled or pushed in a straight line working with your center of balance. Even details of where you should be looking, how your toes should be angled so your hips are set proper and how to safely rack and unrack the bar. I got the kindle version. Best exercise book I've ever purchased.

Miscellangela is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pace2race View Post
    Starting Strength is a great reference for learning how and why you perform a lift the proper way. In a an extremely, overly detailed way Rip explains how the bar needs to pulled or pushed in a straight line working with your center of balance. Even details of where you should be looking, how your toes should be angled so your hips are set proper and how to safely rack and unrack the bar. I got the kindle version. Best exercise book I've ever purchased.
    +100000

That's why I hired a personal trainer. It's one thing to look in the mirror and try to emulate but it's another thing to have someone there who observes you and tells you where you need to make an adjustment. I hired the trainer for 3 sessions to show me the ropes. After that perhaps a book will be helpful. Maybe if I'm lucky there will be nice people at the gym to learn from, too.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast