Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Starting weights today page 7

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    As for the power clean, I looked that up. It looks scary. I'm not sure about doing that.
    It's far less scary once you get the feel for the movement. I've also found that it's one of the most functional lifts I've learned. The number of times I've used a similar movement to easily lift an object to shoulder level to put it on a shelf or similar--it's surprising how well it has translated into daily life. For women who don't have as much upper body strength to just heave something up, learning power cleans can be really valuable.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I guess it's throwing around something so large and heavy that looks scary. Most of the time I'm really careful not to drop anything. Maybe too careful.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    See this movie. I think I'm going to try to watch more of his movies.
    Starting Strength DVD -- Squat - YouTube
    i will have a go next time i go to the gym and see if that is what i am doing wrong. what i use these days is a different bar. it's got a bit in it that goes over your shoulders and is padded. it is 30kgs instead of 20 kgs and wider too. a good plan to watch the movies as it gives you an idea of form and how to do stuff that written descriptions just dont convey.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    I LOVE doing cleans, but it's important to make sure you get the form correct, to protect your back. Good form isn't hugely important with lighter weights, but with heavier weights, it's essential. I recommend that when you're ready to learn cleans, find a coach who actually knows how to do the Olympic lifts to work with you. That way you won't learn it wrong and get into a pattern where you might end up hurting yourself later.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    That's good advice, Goldie. I think what I'm going to do is stick to the workout my trainer gave me. And then for winter quarter (I'm at a university) I can take her olympic weight lifting group class. By then I should have more strength built up, more confidence and then learning olympic lifts like clean and press or whatever will be more fun and maybe more instructive in a formal class setting. This isn't a university class but one of the recreation center's personal training options--you can hire a personal trainer in a group of 2 or more. My trainer offers olympic lifting as one of her group options.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567