Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Starting weights today page 5

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    When your bench press gets hard enough that you have to think about that kind of stuff, you need a spotter to help you. For my hard sets, where I'm not sure I'm going to be able to finish, I always find a spotter no matter how inconvenient that is.
    Are your arms super short? Because most benches have multiple notches in which to rack the bar. I've never seen someone with arms too short to hit the lowest one.
    I was not using the benches with the racks. I picked up a barbell, laid back on a bench and did it that way. The trouble was, it was 15lbs higher than what I was supposed to use because it appeared they were missing some barbells. It was okay for bench press, but then suddenly I was tired and had a hard time sitting back up again. And when I went to put it away, where it belonged was too high for me to curl the weight and put it back. It was up near almost throat level where I was supposed to put it back. I will definitely use the racks in the future, but what if I can't put the plates back up on their pegs because I'm too short to reach where they go when you put them back?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

2tall is offline Member
    Swing the plate up to put them on. Like a clean. You can pick up 5 gallon water bottles like they are feathers using the same technique.
    google kettlebell clean to get an idea.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Time to learn the power clean, it sounds like! btw your gym sounds weird.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Also your clever little benching method is going to stop working in about 3 weeks of adding weight, big time. But it's cool that you are making it work for you! Congrats. Now, just follow the method in the Starting Strength book, please.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i picked up a 36kg dumbell instead of a 33kg dumbell today and had to get rescued lol i had just done really huge arms and shoulders which didnt help. sbhikes, what sort of rep range are you working in and how many sets?

Owly is offline Senior Member
    sbhikes, are you using the fixed barbells for bench? I'm sort of confused by your description.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    sbhikes, I think you are using the curl bars to bench with
    A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Yeah, I switched to the bench with the rack. I was using the barbells they stack over by the dumbbells. I guess that's what you call a fixed barbell. There's a couple stands with several at different weights. I started very light, lighter than the bar on the bench press rack, so that's why I had been using them.

I've been doing this 3 sets, 8 reps. But last time I did everything that I could with 10 reps, adding a little more weight each set, and I have been doing the squat sets twice because I think squats are fun. I feel like I'm starting to get used to this, my joints and stuff are figuring it out. Some of these are very hard and it doesn't feel like getting used to it is going to make it any easier. Some of them I think are hard only because I'm just not used to it yet, that I probably can lift way more but the mechanics of using the equipment and getting the form right and all that is what limits me. I think I could probably squat way more than that. Squatting is just backpacking, sorta, right? And a 55lb backpack is miserable but not really that heavy.

Great that you are getting the hang of it. I'm not sure what program exactly you are running - it sounds like something your trainer made for you? The program that will really do the trick, simply and effectively, goes like this:
    Workout A
    Squat 3 sets of 5 (3x5)
    Bench press 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5

WorkoutB
    Squat 3x5
    Overhead press 3x5
    Power clean 5x3 (five sets of three)

After you finish each workout, work on chinups the best you can. Then go home, or do other stuff, it doesn't matter.
    Alternate workouts A and B three times per week (twice / week also works great). Keep track of how much you lifted each time, and add 5 to 10 lb every single session as long as you are able to complete the lifts.

For example, your first day bench press you do 45 lb (the empty bar) for three sets of 5 reps. The next time you do workout A, you do 50 lb, and so on. The squat increases twice as fast as the others since you do it every time. The deadlift you can add 10 or even 15 lb per session for the first several sessions, then play it by ear. Use the Mark Rippetoe videos on youtube to learn the proper form, keep a little notebook and log your progress, and watch yourself become really awesome in a matter of a couple of months.

That's "Starting Strength" the famous workout plan. Hope you give it a try!

Yes, it's a plan my trainer made up for me. I have to work up to some of the Starting Strength lifts, but once I'm there, I plan to do it.

I do a fair amount of things that are working my way up to being able to do a pullup and a deadlift. I don't think the gym that I joined has the plastic weights for beginner deadlifters, so I have to work my way up. It's just a university gym but I get a good deal as a staff person. All the equipment to do Starting Strength is available, just not those plastic beginner plates for deadlifting.

I do squats, bench press, romanian deadlifts, overhead presses but not power clean. I will ask her to show me that tomorrow. I also do planks, "ball bridges" with a stability ball, low-to-high cable woodchops (which are kinda fun), and assisted pullups.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast