Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting weights today page 4

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    That hunger is your metabolism awakening. A good sign! feed it plenty of protein in your meal(s) after you work out, and eat less on the rest days. That's "leangains" style in a nutshell, how closely you follow that stuff is up to you.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Thank you. I thought it odd that I wanted meat so much when people around here stuff themselves with carbs. I figured since I spent such a vast quantity of my life (like most of it) deficient in protein, perhaps I needed to catch up.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Great that you are enjoying the lifting! I find that I'm sore for 2-3 days if I have taken a while off. But then generally I can lift every few days and not end up sore, even with setting a PR. Definitely a bonus to lifting instead of running.

You'll also likely notice your appetite slows down after a few weeks.

Good luck!

spuggygirl is offline Senior Member
    Yay....well done. I started lifting weights with a trainer about nine weeks and am starting to see amazing results. It's the best thing I've done in a long time. I have one session with my trainer and do two on my own at the gym.

I sometimes get DOMS, but not always - often if I'm doing back squats and deadlifts in the same session I get DOMs in my legs, but otherwise it's rare unless we're doing new stuff.

Strangely enough I find that cardio makes me feel tired and hungry, but lifting makes me feel amazing but suppresses my appetite.

phitone is offline Junior Member
    I love doing weight training and I love what it has done for me. I especially like it when the guys in gym acknowledge how hard I'm working and comment on how fit and strong I look. Weight training just makes me feel so darn sexy!!! I have really started pushing the heavier weights and am seeing the results more quickly. Just make sure your trainer is really focusing on form....form...form. And have fun with it.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Thank you. I thought it odd that I wanted meat so much when people around here stuff themselves with carbs. I figured since I spent such a vast quantity of my life (like most of it) deficient in protein, perhaps I needed to catch up.
    I think one woman's stuffing looks like another woman's moderate portion. I would guess that even most carb-eating primals would still be considered low carb by conventional standards. Considering that 100g of carbs only comes to 400 calories, there's still a lot of room for meat in one's daily diet.

I mean, I like my potatoes, but the steak still gets priority on my plate. Mmmmm...steak.

Also, I'm a bit sore today, but that's because I did a pretty heavy squat session yesterday followed by some heavier leg curls for my accessory lift. But it's the good sore, not the "oh god will I be able to get up off this toilet?!" sore.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

bheeter1 is offline Junior Member
    Great stuff share in this forum. I like this forum. This information is very useful for us. I have no any trainer or no join any gym, i do every thing at home with my self.
    Hope i stay and get more knowledge about it..

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i was a vegetarian for 20 odd years so i always say i am still catching up. i still havent got bored of the taste of pan seared meat even.

Just make sure your trainer is really focusing on form....form...form. And have fun with it.
    absolutely agree with this. focus on doing the whole ROM, even if it means doing a smaller weight.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I've been really enjoying this. I focus on form as much as I can. I have gotten to a point where some of the weights are too heavy. For example, I was able to bench press a weight that I struggled to get out from under and put away. I especially struggled with the putting it away part. The storage rack was too high for me to lift the weight out in front of me like that. What happens if I can lift a weight that I can't put back on the storage racks? I have to ask the trainer on Friday. That's my last session with her. Fortunately she's really super short, even shorter than me.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    When your bench press gets hard enough that you have to think about that kind of stuff, you need a spotter to help you. For my hard sets, where I'm not sure I'm going to be able to finish, I always find a spotter no matter how inconvenient that is.
    Are your arms super short? Because most benches have multiple notches in which to rack the bar. I've never seen someone with arms too short to hit the lowest one.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast