Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting weights today page 3

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    [QUOTE=sbhikes;9841I don't do facebook, but if I can read her facebook page without joining[/QUOTE]

I have a phantom facebook account for just this purpose. Easy enough to create as millions have already done.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

debroby is offline Junior Member
    Congratulations on starting to lift!

Krista (Stumptuous) is a fabulous resource for women interested in iron! Sally Moss (the Gubernatrix) is the other major female resource. And congrats on hiring a PT to help you understand how a lift should feel.

While soreness (DOMS) is a funny thing, I find that I am rarely sore from lifting and I get great joy from it. If you get into it, you will find that your scale is going up, but your clothes are fitting better (or differently - but in a good way). I also find that lifting helped with the hormonal stresses of being a middle aged woman.

If you really enjoy it, DO use a gym membership or you will find yourself regularly wanting to expand your weight collection at home. I'm to the point where most of workout is done with a barbell and weight plates; it took me about 2 years to get to that point, but I'm betting it doesn't take you that long. (I was held back by a trainer).

At the moment I'm training for my first power lifting competition next month. My squat is sad (but I just had my hip replaced a year ago)... but my deadlift and bench are acceptable. Especially for a 60 year old female.

Congrats!
    I'm a personal trainer and have all my females lift. Feel free to shoot me a message if you have any questions!

Ask your trainer what his favorite book on training is...

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Thank you for the link, Owly. I'm enjoying reading the "back issues" of her blog.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    So awesome that you enjoyed your lifting session!! I start mine today as well, can't wait to put the girls down for a nap, lol!!

I just came back from doing it on my own without the trainer. Our arrangement is for three sessions, once a week. She'll teach me stuff and I'll do it on my own and bring any questions to her. I think because we had to do the intake forms last time that she didn't teach me everything yet. But anyway, doing what she had on her list for me, my arms are going to be fried and stiff. But not my legs. I hope she gives me more leg stuff. She only gave me squats. Man those military presses suck royally. I thought my guts might come out my belly button. It was a lot of fun and I feel great.

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post

Man those military presses suck royally. I thought my guts might come out my belly button. It was a lot of fun and I feel great.
    ROFL! I love lifting heavy things, too! Even the LHT soreness is nice! Welcome to the club!

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Press day on Wednesday for me! Glad you had fun with them.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

It makes me hungry though. How do I deal with that? I feel like a ravenous beast that wants to eat everything. Not chocolate, though. I want meat and vegetables. More more more.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I feel ravenous and definitely want more meat (and veg too, but meat most of all). I just go with it and satisfy the desire for protein since I think my body wants it for recovery. The other day after the gym I polished off two chicken legs (and we're talking 1/4 chicken type legs, not just drums) plus a pile of fries. Tonight it was a huge bowl of stew.

I tend to eat less on the off days sort of naturally. I think it balances out.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast