Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting weights today page 2

Miscellangela is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    If you read the book, you'll know more about proper form than 75% of trainers and 99% of your fellow gym-goers. Trust me, as someone who has been on both sides of the equation.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    What do you think of her instructions on this website? Exercise instruction :: stumptuous.com
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I found that it took quite a bit longer to get an endorphin high from weight training cf cardio.

It's a much calmer kind of endorphin high, but more deeply satisfying. It's also empowering - my upper body used to be pathetically weak, but it's much stronger now.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Sbhikes- I know your a hiker primarily and could be fairly new to this realm. I just wanna pop in and say that you DON'T have to stick to either free weights OR machines. Compound exercises in either is the real key. Focus on your turnarounds (i.e. dont bounce out of the negative in the bench or pullup....this just uses the connective tissue as a slingshot and doesn't build muscle anyhow)..Slow it all down and concentrate on the muscles your working. Be mindful. Studies actually show that it is less about "number of reps" as it is about intensity to build strength.

Miscellangela is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    What do you think of her instructions on this website? Exercise instruction :: stumptuous.com
    Krista is awesome. Join the Stumptuous FB page, and whenever you have questions about form or whatever, there's a chance it will be answered by Krista herself, or Simma Park, who's a weight coach trained by Rippetoe himself. Also, avail yourself of the Starting Strength forum, whether you're doing the program or not - lots of good info there, and lots of very knowlegeable people willing to help out.

Goldie is online now Senior Member
    A good website for info on the different lifts, muscles the lifts target, etc., is ExRx Exercise -- they even have gifs of many of the lifts.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    I'm interested to hear (see) how lifting works out for you. Every time a female asks me how to get in better shape I tell them to lift heavy weights, same as a man. Very very few follow my advice. I'm betting you'll be happy with results in time.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure I will be happy with weight lifting. I thought it was really fun. I did it many many years ago, just with machines, and I really liked it way back then. I do try to go slowly and not use momentum. I am of the age where trying to find shortcuts to things no longer holds an appeal. "Half measures availed us nothing" is sort of a credo.

Thanks for the forum suggestions. I don't do facebook, but if I can read her facebook page without joining that will be great. I might get the starting strength book anyway just to keep feeding my interest. I find if I feed my interests I stick to things better. That's why I come here.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Hey, good luck and congrats on joining the strength training world! I would also highly recommend using the starting strength template, but his recommendations are geared to teenage boys, overeating on purpose, so you might not find the insanely rapid progress that some prescribe to SS. You might want to run the SS program itself but only do it twice per week, leaving more time for recovery and your long walks, etc. It is most definitely effective, simple, and not a scam or shortcut.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Krista (at Stumptuous) is awesome and was one of the big influences for me in deciding to start lifting. She's very funny and knows her stuff, and she's usually pretty cool about answering questions and emails too. She's very much woman oriented and is also a primal/paleo eater. You might also check out Gubernatrix — the joy of strength training - weight training, strength, fitness, weights, losing fat, women's weight training, bodyweight, free weights, powerlifting, dumbbells, barbells, kettlebells, bodybuilding, olympic weightlifting as another good woman-oriented training site.

I definitely find I recover better from my barbell sessions than I have from circuit classes or things like CF metcons where you do a lot of volume. I will get some soreness, but even pushing hard I don't generally hurt like I would from a higher rep program. Of course, the other big part of recovery is eating and sleeping properly, but you already know that.

Anyhow, glad you've decided to give it a go. I think you'll find it a very different experience from the classes you were taking in both how you feel and in the results you get.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast