Thread: Transition From Atkins To Primal page

MaryAnn is offline Junior Member

Transition From Atkins To Primal

Primal Fuel
    I started Atkins Induction 5 days ago. I lost 5 lbs. so far. How do I move from Atkins to Primal? I normally make Tuna or Egg salad with full fat mayo. If I'm correct should I now eliminate mayo? I bought the 21 day challenge and saw where I need to increase my carbs after a few days, but I'm not quite grasping the program. I do have to add that for the past 15 years I have steadily been gaining weight. My highest was 190, I am now at 185. It was suggested to me years ago that I may be sensitive to wheat, but with a busy lifestyle, working 12 hours shifts etc., I never took the time to actually look at what I was eating and how it was related to weight gain. My biggest fear is that if I start adding fruits and nuts, am I gonna gain even more weight?

Mary Ann

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Click on the Start Here button above. Primal is simply a pathway to health and a list of foods to avoid and foods to eat for health. You can eat the same foods as you did on Atkins, but you just have to skip anything made with soybeans, canola, wheat or other grains, sugar, artificial processed crap of all kinds, etc. If you read the start here list you'll get a better sense of the WHY of it all.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

i was reading that. I have totally given up grains and all processed foods. Now I think I need to work on the dairy such as cream cheese, mayo etc. I'll have to read the ingredients. Is now when I start to add fruits and nuts?

Mary Ann

Zanna is online now Senior Member
    What sbhikes said . . . And you should probably look into doing a Whole 30 first, then evaluate what you may or may not want to eat after that. One of the problems with Atkins is the embracing of frankenfoods and processed 'low carb' crap. So, whole food is the way to go. Everything else is just individual need / preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanna View Post
    What sbhikes said . . . And you should probably look into doing a Whole 30 first, then evaluate what you may or may not want to eat after that. One of the problems with Atkins is the embracing of frankenfoods and processed 'low carb' crap. So, whole food is the way to go. Everything else is just individual need / preference.
    Ok I am officially lost. What is whole 30? Whole foods for 30 days? I just got the book yesterday and haven't come anywhere near finishing it. Thanks.

Mary Ann

Never mind I think I found it.
    Last edited by MaryAnn; 10-19-2012 at 08:47 AM.

mom5booklover is offline Senior Member
    Firstly get rid of the store bought mayo. Try a homemade version. Caveman Food: Bacon Mayonnaise!

Remember if it is store bought and not just a whole food then there may be things you shouldn't eat in it. Go for fresh meat and produce over anything else. If you are using sauces, marinades, and condiments go for the ones with the least amount of ingredients. Make sure you can pronounce all of the ingredients. Use only bacon fat, lard, coconut oil, butter, and Ghee to cook with. Olive oil, walnut oil, macadamia nut oil, almond oil are all ok as long as they are cold(salad dressing) but do not cook with them as they will become transfats as soon as they are heated.

I would take it easy on the fruits and nuts while you are trying to lose. They tend to be big trouble for alot of people. To up your carbs stick with maybe 1 fruit or starch a day like blueberries or sweet potatoes. I would keep dairy in your diet for a bit. If you start to plateu then take it out as that can be a way to up the fat lose again.
    F/37yr/5' 5"
    SW: 154 March 2011
    CW: 140 July to Oct 2011
    PB: 145 gained 5lbs in first 4 months March to July 2012
    With a combo of PB and IF-ing 5 days a week (1 x 1200 calorie meal per day) I have lost 15 lbs PB/IF = 130 lbs July 2012 to current
    GW: 120
    Ultimate Goals ar to be: Happy/ Fit/ Energetic/ Feel great/ Balanced/ cure my thyroid and adrenals

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    On the mayo, it's because almost all store bought mayo has terrible oils in it. Even the so-called olive oil mayos - look at the ingredients label and they still have other oils. I missed mayo also, and have finally been able to make a decent enough aioli that I get that creamy feeling I missed. Mine's not perfect, though, so I'll let you search the blog and the recipe section for one you might like. I know there's even one that uses bacon fat.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    For some reason, I can't edit my post.

Anyway, it's not that mayo has fat that is the problem, it's that store bought mayo almost always has bad oils. Sorry about that.

Thanks, I did read the ingredients and saw the soybean oils etc. I will try your recipe and see how it taste. Thanks alot.

Mary Ann