Thread: Hi from the land down under page

SHENDAA is offline Junior Member

Lightbulb Hi from the land down under

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys,

I'm new here so just wanted to say hi and introduce myself, I'm from Sydney and I'm 25 years old

I've been hooked on the primal blueprint book, and I have found many success stories here so inspiring.

Decided I want to go primal in an effort to become more healthier and lose 25+ kgs. Just got back from the shops, after spending an hour in the supermarket buying all my primal needs (Coconut oil looks weird, and it's solid?! LOL, and WOW nuts are quite expensive!).

I would like to ask a question, and hopefully someone has some experience losing weight on the Primal. Judging from the carb curve, it looks as though if I eat roughly 50-100g of carbs or less each day, I will steadily lose weight.
    Does anyone have any good info on how I can judge my carb intake from eating veggies? Should I be eating veggies with each meal of the day or should I go lighter on the veggies and head more towards ketosis for weight loss? and is there much chance of going over 50-100g a day in carbs from solely veggies and no grains?

Thanks guys,

- Shen

peril is online now Senior Member
    Shen,

If you avoid root vegies, it is almost impossible to go over 100g carbs per day. Even with root vegies in moderation it will be hard. I suggest you start easing yourself into primal, by changing one of the daily meals each week and winding back on snacks. Start walking as much as you can. Get 8hrs a day sleep. Maybe even read the book again.

Read the 101 on the site and concentrate on what Mark has to say. The forum has many opinions so gets very confusing. Listen to Mark rather than us until you have a good feel for what he is saying and want some advice specific to your circumstances
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

cyro_349 is offline Junior Member
    Hey,

Welcome from another Sydney goer. There are a ton of tracking websites around (ie. paleotrack.com, Nutrition facts, calories in food, labels, nutritional information and analysis – NutritionData.com) you can use basically any of them to get a decent estimate of your carb amount. Early on I actually found myself stressing a bit too much over the numbers using those sites, though I don't mind as much any more, now I use them every now and then more out of interest then needing to know the specific macros (Have been Primal for about 2-3 months). I'm actually re-starting ketosis after a few weeks from being out of it, a good resource with a nice amount of info on ketosis is The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. The Eating Academy | Peter Attia, M.D. if you like to do research.

It's a bit difficult to say how many carbs are too many, generally depends on the person and their activity levels. I generally try to stay under 50g of "net" carbs per day (total carbs - fiber) and have been able to get into ketosis that way (I'm 5' 11", around 70kg). Some people can tolerate (and even need) more, and some people can only tolerate less.

In terms of veggies, at the moment with about 100g of zucchini, an avocado, 250g of spinach, 500g of mixed veggies (carrot, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower & red capsicum) and 50g of Lindt 85% dark chocolate, I'm still under 80g of total carbs (half of which is fiber). So yes, you could go over just be eating veggies, but you would need to eat a fairly large amount.

Nuts are a little different though, they are very calorie dense, and easy to over eat (since they are small), try to stick to at most 2 ounces a day, or a couple of handfuls (I've actually stopped buying nuts because I generally over did it too often). Since they are the most common Primal nuts (from what I can tell):

Macadamia nuts - 10-12 nuts per ounce (an ounce is 28g if you were wondering).
    Almonds - about 23 nuts per ounce.

Hope this helped, a lot of people here have great info, and lots of experience. And if you feel like a bit of a read the "Eat MOAR Fat!" thread has a decent amount of info on different people's experiences with Ketosis, there is also some info about how people calculate their max carbs.

Regards,

~Cyro

cyro_349 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Shen,

If you avoid root vegies, it is almost impossible to go over 100g carbs per day. Even with root vegies in moderation it will be hard. I suggest you start easing yourself into primal, by changing one of the daily meals each week and winding back on snacks. Start walking as much as you can. Get 8hrs a day sleep. Maybe even read the book again.

Read the 101 on the site and concentrate on what Mark has to say. The forum has many opinions so gets very confusing. Listen to Mark rather than us until you have a good feel for what he is saying and want some advice specific to your circumstances
    Heh, beat me to it.

This is good advice, it's a good idea to follow it (early on it threw me a little with some of the opposing views and conflicting info you can find reading these forums - in the end, the most important thing is what works for you and makes you feel good).

~Cyro