Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BARF diet is Paleo for Pets page

elliottsmith is offline Senior Member

BARF diet is Paleo for Pets

Primal Fuel
    I'm buying a puppy in December, a Staffordshire Bull Terrier dog. We're really looking forward to getting him and I was talking to a guy the other day who feeds his dogs on the BARF diet which when it boils down to it is basically Paleo for pets.

His dogs are fed on their natural diet, raw meat and bones and have a fast day once a week. They are also fed at random times. Yes I know, it sounds very familiar doesn't it.

I'm going to look into it more.

Now here's a picture of "When Cute Met Cuddly".Kitten eating baby rabbit.jpg

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Our dogs' health and energy has improved since they went raw. Now they do not even recognize kibble and dog 'biscuits' as food. It is well worth trying and not that much more work than kibble. Do be sure to give them a variety of things, and not just the same convenient cut time after time.

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member
    My paleo kitten is growing at an alarmingly fast rate, and is so rambunctious, I wish I could straightjacket her.

All that aside, why are you buying a dog? Are there no pit rescues or animal shelters in your area?
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    My dogs are fed the same way.
    Lots of raw meat (incl. offal) & bones. they are super healthy

I would never go back to feeding kibble (especially since I know way to much about whats in most kibbles.)

RawFed.com Home Page has some good info to get started with
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

polos26 is offline Senior Member
    My dog has been on raw food since I got her as a puppy 5 years ago, she knows nothing else. Her treats are raw carrots or berries and last night she got a full bowl of bone broth. A couple of years ago my brother stayed with me for a little while and I demanded his dog to be fed the same way. I give my dog the Primal nuggets (Primal Pet Foods), my brother is on a tighter budget + bigger dog than my 3 lbs dog so he went with BARF as it is cheaper, and I have to say the quality of BARF versus Primal is not even in the same ball park. I found BARF to be more watery and of different consistency, almost as if they fluff it up to make the patties look like more than they are. There are a ton of different brands out there and my 2 favorite ones are Primal and Stella & Chewy, I think they are the best quality. I haven't done much research on the brands that have come up lately but BARF and Nature's Variety are the lowest quality in my opinion. Good luck with your new friend!
    Loving my primal life

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by polos26 View Post
    I give my dog the Primal nuggets (Primal Pet Foods), my brother is on a tighter budget + bigger dog than my 3 lbs dog so he went with BARF as it is cheaper, and I have to say the quality of BARF versus Primal is not even in the same ball park. I found BARF to be more watery and of different consistency, almost as if they fluff it up to make the patties look like more than they are.
    Im not sure what it is your feeding, it sounds like commercially packaged meals?
    Barf stands for Bones And Raw Food, and while there are company's that use that as a marketing tool to sell there foods, real BARF is just Bones & Meat .. my dogs get stuff like turkey necks
    Rabbit, venison, beef, chicken (as in a whole chicken)
    lamb ribs, .. chunks of whole meat & bone, not mixed up patties. (Ok they do get minced meat sometimes but its just minced meat.. nothing added)

My dogs eat a kg of meat a day each... hate to think what that would cost in patties
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    If I had a big robust dog like a Staffordshire, I would also feed a BARF diet. (by the way I grew up in Staffordshire ) I have two small Maltese, one only 3lbs. My 8lber will eat raw reluctantly, and when she does it makes her really throw up. My little 3lb er won't touch it, she would rather starve. I feed them home cooked paleo Meat and veg. with added calcium and salmon oil digestive enzymes and coconut oil. They thrive on it.
    Last edited by Silvergirl; 10-19-2012 at 08:57 AM.

polos26 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoHunter View Post
    Im not sure what it is your feeding, it sounds like commercially packaged meals?
    Barf stands for Bones And Raw Food, and while there are company's that use that as a marketing tool to sell there foods, real BARF is just Bones & Meat .. my dogs get stuff like turkey necks
    Rabbit, venison, beef, chicken (as in a whole chicken)
    lamb ribs, .. chunks of whole meat & bone, not mixed up patties. (Ok they do get minced meat sometimes but its just minced meat.. nothing added)

My dogs eat a kg of meat a day each... hate to think what that would cost in patties
    MMm Yeah, I get her 'raw' food already in nuggets and there is a brand that is called BARF! Sorry! I will stop talking now.. LOL
    Loving my primal life

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Am I really the first to inquire about the name?

Barf? I understand it's an acronym, but they could have made it better. lol

iconoclast79 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I did a lot of research when we got our German Shepherd, and concluded that a Prey Model Raw diet was more appropriate than a BARF diet. In a way, I think PMR:BARF = Primal:Paleo. There's no way paleo dogs, aka wolves, eat that much bone, proportionally to organs and muscle meat.

Chicken leg quarters are our staple, supplemented w/ grassfed beef/lamb organs. Do it yourself, no need for prepackaged. Nothing like hearing the crack of the bones when our girl is chewing- very primal!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast