Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BARF diet is Paleo for Pets page 3

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by elliottsmith View Post
    Yes there are lots of rescues and animal shelters but none of the let us have dogs because we have children and the general policy is no dogs to families with small children under 12 years. So that's why we are 'buying' a dog.
    Yeah, we got "denied" for a dog at the shelter. LOL. Sooooo hilarious. Cause my wife was a little too honest and told them about one of our dogs jumping our fence and running away a few years back. We were specifically looking for a dog that could not accomplish this feat. Hey, but good new! Michael Vick was able to adopt one....so all is right in the world

We ended up just taking in a young stray (for free!) a couple weeks later and that was 6 months ago. She's a great dog.

AlexAgain is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ar0e View Post
    How do you know how much meat to feed your dog? My dog is a 50 pound female Australian Cattle Dog, how much should she get? Also, when switching to raw, are there any digestive problems? I would think that just like a human the dog may need healthy bacteria from yogurt or something.
    you should feed 2-3% of their ideal body weight depending on the activity level
    a female cattle dog's ideal body weight would be 30-35lbs - so you should feed 1lb or a little less/day

I have my dogs on raw and my 9yr old Golden Retriever is the fittest retriever I have ever seen and outruns most of the young dogs at the park. I feed mostly chicken(bone included) along with organ meats. I supplement with fish oil and tripe. I also give table scraps (since I eat primal). my dogs also have amazing teeth from eating this way. I would highly recommend it.

Turnstone is offline Senior Member
    About 2 weeks ago I heard about the BARF diet for dogs and cats on the radio. They talked about the constantly rising numbers of cats and dogs with allergies, and there was a lady who said it might be due to the industrial food with too much grains, sugars and additives. Switching to a BARF diet would fix most problems. I was surprised and pleased to hear that!
    I wonder how long it takes for some people that this might be true for humans, too...

abbyful is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexAgain View Post
    you should feed 2-3% of their ideal body weight depending on the activity level
    a female cattle dog's ideal body weight would be 30-35lbs - so you should feed 1lb or a little less/day

I have my dogs on raw and my 9yr old Golden Retriever is the fittest retriever I have ever seen and outruns most of the young dogs at the park. I feed mostly chicken(bone included) along with organ meats. I supplement with fish oil and tripe. I also give table scraps (since I eat primal). my dogs also have amazing teeth from eating this way. I would highly recommend it.
    Just a note for any small-dog owners browsing this thread, small dogs usually need a higher percent than bigger dogs. My small dogs (2 papillons and a pomeranian mix) eat about double that, between 4-6% of their body weight depending on the dog.

We feed prey-model raw. It's more species appropriate than BARF, and easier too!
    Last edited by abbyful; 10-26-2012 at 05:56 AM.

missblue is offline Senior Member
    A nice "benefit" of a raw diet is that the poo bombs in the yard are no longer biological hazards you can slip on.
    Stools are small & dry and require no serious "management" except nature. I have 4 large dogs in excess of 100 lbs
    so this has been great!

My dogs are about 4 years in with raw meat and looking great. They are 11 years old and run like puppies--just a bit
    gray in the muzzle, but healthy and happy since the switch with shiny coats and clean white teeth. "The ear itch" some Labradors get from damp ears and that icky yeast stuff that grows there has also nearly disappeared since we quit feeding
    dry food.
    Last edited by missblue; 10-26-2012 at 06:41 AM.

We have an Airedale terrier that was in health decline at only 3 years old. I switched to a BARF diet 8 months ago, and I am happy to say it changed his life. He is a vibrant, enthusiastic dog. Instead of one that slept away the day and got up with lots of aches and pains.

he gets about 1lb of "meat" a day. some days more, some days he fasts. His staples are chicken quarters, whole fish, marrow bones, sometimes beef.

It costs less to feed him BARF than his "high quality" dog food that was KILLING him

JosieandBuster is offline Junior Member
    Hi Everyone. I know this is an old thread and hoping some knowledgeable folk will reply. We are being gifted with a beautiful labrador/retriever mix (47lbs), he is one year old, from Kentucky (he is a rescue) and was just neutered. He is on pain meds 4 days. I am just starting to read about the best options for his diet. I eat paleo - raw milk often. I am guessing he has been fed kibble thus far, should I slowly introduce the raw diet, or if he seems to like it just go with it. I don't want to give him too much too soon as his system may or may not need time to adjust. Also, I have lived with and pet sat before - from Great Danes to Pit Bulls - though this is very first dog. So I am learning a lot too, and would rather be careful and slow.

I like the chicken quarters, legs, turkey necks etc. Do you just put them in his bowl and away he goes? Do you feed them any rice?

I am concerned about bones. I know they can't be cooked. I read a post (not here) about a gentleman who's dog died from injury from a bone piece - that injured the dog internally and led to problems which led to his death. It was an uncooked chicken bone. He was devastated as he thought he was doing what was best for the dog.

Thank you in advance!

Cheers
    Last edited by JosieandBuster; 03-05-2014 at 02:21 PM.

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    If switching from a kibble diet, I (personally) would just switch directly to raw but start with something like turkey or rabbit mince in small quanitys (small meals,more times a day) to give them some time to adjust. Do Not feed raw & kibble together as they digest differently & that can cause more issues than just switching (although be prepared for a few clean ups untill theyre system adjust to its natural state)

I dont feed any rice or grains etc.. just meat/offal/bones/eggs & the occasional veggie leftovers.

No matter what you feed, there's always going to be a risk. I work with dogs for a living & know of (personally... not second hand info) a dog that died choking on a piece of kibble and quite a few instances of dog choking on pig ears/rawhides (at least 2 of which died and several more that came close)
    I have never personally know of any dog being killed due to raw diet/bones etc but I wont say it dosent happen.. just that its not any higher risk than any other type of feeding.. IMO its lower risk as long as the dog is eating normally (some dogs when first introduced to raw will try to gulp everything down to fast & need to learn to slow down. putting something in there bowl so they have to pick around it can help with this.)

I also know of one case (my dog) where the vet immediately blamed a chicken bone for problems that turned out to be due to said dog eating chunks of charcoal & then getting clogged up & not able to poop. As soon as he heard "raw diet" he jumped to that conclusion & dident even bother considering any other possibilitys.
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

JosieandBuster is offline Junior Member
    Thank you DinoHunter. When you say 'putting something in there bowl so they have to pick around it can help with this.', what do you mean?

One post said to hold the bones for them when they first start eating the diet.

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JosieandBuster View Post
    Thank you DinoHunter. When you say 'putting something in there bowl so they have to pick around it can help with this.', what do you mean?

One post said to hold the bones for them when they first start eating the diet.
    Large rock/s work... something that gets in the way so they have to work to get the food around it instead of being able to wolf it down
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast