Thread: needing carbs? page

girlhk is offline Senior Member

needing carbs?

Primal/paleo say that we don't need carbohydrates to function. The science makes sense to me. However, I am wondering why I feel better with carbohydrates in my diet? I have tried low carb (around 50g), and while I can live with it, I find it difficult to maintain and am generally happier with around 100-150g of carbs daily in my diet. Carb sources are usually legumes, fermented rice products, dairy. Is it because I've never gotten over the low-carb flu, or is it a genuine need?

I'm still nursing a 16-month-old. No hard exercise, just 1-2 hours walks daily carrying my 20-lb kid, and on my feet running after her or running errands around the house. No extra weight to lose but have belly flab (5'4", 115lbs).

I do know that I don't do well with too much carb, as I was diagnosed with PCOS back in 2009, and managed it with diet.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Carbs are certainly NOT necessary, no. But if you feel better on them, then go for it!

I eat VLC myself, but would go CRAZY on zero carbs. And I do find I need a carb refeed every week or two to keep my metabolism in check.

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    I was watching a programme the other night on tv about a hunter/gatherer tribe. The men went off and hunted for animals, the women and children gathered berries and tubers. The programme told us that the women's work contributed 50% of the daily calories for the tribe, so the diet would be 50% carbohydrate. While I think it makes sense for us to eat an ancestral diet, I'm not convinced that we are all decended from the same tribe!! Some people will thrive of vlc or zero carb, others will feel better with higher carbs. We can find plenty of tribal communities eating high carb, so I think we need to broaden our definition of an ancestral diet.

Nelle is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't say we don't need any carbs to function-- that seems a bit extreme. And carbs come from fruits & veggies, I hope you are eating those-- otherwise you could develop diverticulitis and then you'll have to poop in a bag... (I'm taking a nutrition class right now and while I disagree with the "whole grain" shit, I do believe we need carbs)If low-carb works best, go for it. The USDA (which is a giant crapbag itself) recommends approx. 300g of carbs per day for women so if half of that works best you then you are more correct than they are. But no carb.... that's a bit weird.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelle View Post
    I wouldn't say we don't need any carbs to function-- that seems a bit extreme. And carbs come from fruits & veggies, I hope you are eating those-- otherwise you could develop diverticulitis and then you'll have to poop in a bag... (I'm taking a nutrition class right now and while I disagree with the "whole grain" shit, I do believe we need carbs)If low-carb works best, go for it. The USDA (which is a giant crapbag itself) recommends approx. 300g of carbs per day for women so if half of that works best you then you are more correct than they are. But no carb.... that's a bit weird.
    A bit weird?

Judgemental much?

To each their own. Inuits eat pretty much zero carb. They get their glucose from the protein they eat for the most part.

Weird?

Nah, just different and you just need to find what makes you feel best.

Nelle is offline Senior Member
    Um, read into things much?

No, I'm not being judgmental, I've just never heard of "no carb" (not the same as low-carb) as an everyday norm, particularly in a westernized society. I don't think she is weird, I think no-carb is weird. IMO. From my POV. get it? Which, if you read what I wrote rather than quickly become a judge yourself, you'll see that I do believe that she needs to do what's best for her own body. She even says she feels better with 100-150 carbs but is pondering why Primal/Paleo says no-carb-- I'm telling her she knows better than Primal/Paleo (and the USDA). So I, not being judgmental, am saying that she should go with what works instead of following a diet to the T.

Sheesh.

girlhk is offline Senior Member
    I eat veggies, but don't really count those as 'carb' sources like starches and grains. I'm thinking more of rice/rice products and lentils. We live in south India, and those are staples at every meal. I went without them for awhile, replacing with more veggies and meat/eggs/fat, but I don't get the same feeling of satisfaction as when I have idli/dosas with curry. I wonder whether my body needs it, or I just like them out of habit? I enjoy lentils but they give me gas (I never knew this prior to cutting them out), so I try to avoid those in favor of meat/seafood.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Just eat the 100-150 range then! Don't stress about it. Feed the kid. Feed your bod and be happy. Your nursing so it might be a genuine need at this time for you. For the lady down the street nursing....maybe not, but just go with makes you happy right now! And congrats on a well nursed baby.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 10-19-2012 at 09:43 PM.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    If you're following the primal blueprint, then 100 to 150g per day is what Mark suggests for maintenance levels, so sounds like you're finding that this recommendation is spot on for you :-)
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/