Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milk caused acne for me, now it doesn't? page

Loneketo is offline Senior Member

Milk caused acne for me, now it doesn't?

Primal Fuel
    I've avoided milk for about 2+ months because it always gave me acne, and I was also lactose intolerant(not serious case). My lips and my skin start getting very dry and flaky, and I looked into it. I found out dry skin could be caused by low calcium or calcium deficiency. I for sure wasn't getting enough calcium from all the fruits and vegetables I ate, so I must have lowered my calcium significantly when I avoid dairy for so long.

I drank about 3 nice big cups of milk, and next day I had no new spots(I react very fast to anything I can't eat). Did my lactose intolerance cure itself? Can anyone possibly explain this. Also had about 3-4 cups today, I craved it so bad today(I'm guessing something to with calcium lacking) and feel better now after I drank it. My dry and flaky skin is already bouncing back to a more smooth look.

stonefury is offline Junior Member
    Did you change what kind of milk you were drinking? Often people who are intolerant of processed commercial milk are able to drink raw milk with no problem. Reduced fat milks also have additional and probably detrimental processing compared to whole milk. Or maybe you've improved your microbiota or gut health with your primal diet and are better able to digest milk now.

Quote Originally Posted by stonefury View Post
    Did you change what kind of milk you were drinking? Often people who are intolerant of processed commercial milk are able to drink raw milk with no problem. Reduced fat milks also have additional and probably detrimental processing compared to whole milk. Or maybe you've improved your microbiota or gut health with your primal diet and are better able to digest milk now.
    Nope, same full-fat, whole milk. Must of been improved gut flora like you since avoiding grains and sugars(for the most part I did, my culture really involves a lot of sugar and grain laden cakes.

Quote Originally Posted by stonefury View Post
    Nope, same full-fat, whole milk. Must of been improved gut flora like you since avoiding grains and sugars(for the most part I did, my culture really involves a lot of sugar and grain laden cakes.) I avoid 90% of the time though.

brendavilleg is offline Junior Member
    Reduced fat milks also have additional and probably detrimental processing compared to whole milk

Quote Originally Posted by brendavilleg View Post
    Reduced fat milks also have additional and probably detrimental processing compared to whole milk
    Good thing I don't eat them

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    Are you sure it was dairy causing your acne? For me, sugar and wheat cause break outs.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loneketo View Post
    I've avoided milk for about 2+ months because it always gave me acne, and I was also lactose intolerant(not serious case). My lips and my skin start getting very dry and flaky, and I looked into it. I found out dry skin could be caused by low calcium or calcium deficiency. I for sure wasn't getting enough calcium from all the fruits and vegetables I ate, so I must have lowered my calcium significantly when I avoid dairy for so long.

I drank about 3 nice big cups of milk, and next day I had no new spots(I react very fast to anything I can't eat). Did my lactose intolerance cure itself? Can anyone possibly explain this. Also had about 3-4 cups today, I craved it so bad today(I'm guessing something to with calcium lacking) and feel better now after I drank it. My dry and flaky skin is already bouncing back to a more smooth look.
    Milk is well known for causing acne in some individuals due to the iodine content. Some iodine is excreted through the skin where it inflames the pores leading to acne eruptions. The amount of iodine in the milk can vary. The milk you are drinking now may just be lower in iodine or your body is holding on to more of the iodine.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesS View Post
    Milk is well known for causing acne in some individuals due to the iodine content. Some iodine is excreted through the skin where it inflames the pores leading to acne eruptions. The amount of iodine in the milk can vary. The milk you are drinking now may just be lower in iodine or your body is holding on to more of the iodine.
    do you have any sources on this? seems super bizarre to me......and not to mention, kinda not one of the more prevalent causes.

JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    do you have any sources on this? seems super bizarre to me......and not to mention, kinda not one of the more prevalent causes.
    Acne, Milk And The Iodine Link

High school dietary dairy intake and teenage acne.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast