Thread: trying to get primal page

Madison is offline Junior Member

Smile trying to get primal

Shop Now
    Hi all

I've been trying to get primal, but found that even though I've been giving up wheat, grains, and sugar, and my scale show some weight loss, I'm not losing much in the fat dept and now I'm in the process of trying to figure out what I'm not doing right.

The obvious thing for me is beer. I love Le Terrible beer from Canada, but high in calories ... I think beer is something I really need to put an end to. It isn't helping at all.

I've been enjoying these wonderful gluten-free, nitrite and nitrate free sausages from a local meat company, but they are very high in fat... maybe I should not be eating them? I'm not sure...

Heavy cream has no sugar, but is it something to be avoided? I think I've doing things half-right.

And I have a question. Why are ab exercises not included in the workouts listed?

There seem to be a lot of copycats out there regarding going primal. www.PrimalBurn.com and another called "The Truth About Abs", has anyone seen these? Your thoughts?

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Hi Madison and welcome. I think you are well on track to answering your own questions.

It's good to see you have started to lose a little weight, if you persevere you will continue to reap results.

I agree that beer is the obvious next thing to eliminate. As for the cream, I have totally enjoyed adding it back into my diet but I did not really use it while I was still losing weight as it is so very high in calories. I mainly stuck to eggs for breakfast, meat and veges for dinner, maybe leftovers or a soup or salad for lunch. Things like cream, cheese, nuts, fruit I minimised at first. Hope this helps.

Do you have much weight to lose?

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    You don't mention how much fat you want to lose, how much beer you drink, whether you're male or female (it matters), what you eat in a day, how long you've been 'trying' primal, how many other ways you've primal-ized your life...

1. eat the fat. All of it.

2. ditch the scale and let your clothes and mirror tell you what changes are happening.

3. if you're working out more, muscle weighs more than fat. Stop weighing, start measuring.

4. What other health improvements have you noticed?

5. Primal isn't a weight loss program, though it can help those who need it.

6. Ditch the beer. Switch to cider if you must drink fizzy booze from a bottle. At least its closer to primal than GRAIN based beer.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Madison is offline Junior Member
    I have a lot of weight to lose. Like I should be 130 and I'm 211. I'm female. I have not really started working out very much. I was a chronic cardio back in the 90s, burned out very badly, then got a divorce in 2000 and well, it's all been weight gain and muscle loss since then.

What I've noticed mostly is that I have stopped getting the psoriasis on my hands that would break out in itchy patches then bleed and not heal for weeks. That is the main thing I've noticed.

Primal is for fat loss, if not weight loss. Hopefully.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Wow, that is truly a positive result from primal, it's great that our body responds so well when we give it the nutrition it needs.

All the best for your fat loss efforts, as well.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison View Post
    I have a lot of weight to lose.
    I've lost 48lbs since early March. I deliberately did not exercise much and concentrated on cutting out sugar, grains & beer to start with. I did do HIT rowing twice a week for a total of two minutes as it was just three bursts of 20 seconds for each session. By June I was steadily losing 1-1.5lbs a week and not feeling hungry even though I was making sure I was about 500 calories a day below maintenance level. At the back end of June I read Body by Science and added The Big Five. Total exercise was then about 12 minutes a week. Now that I have lost a goodly amount of weight and got a starting level of fitness/strength, I bought You Are Your Own Gym and will up the pace of exercise a bit in order to change shape more rapidly.

I made sure I have a treats so that I do not feel deprived. We have a 25gm piece of 70% cocoa solid chocolate every day and I drink wine three times a week. I included all this in my daily calorie intake. I have now stopped counting calories and will start the YAYOG programme on Monday once I have printed out the 10 week programme. I'll use the rowing machine this afternoon and then try selling it on eBay.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Hedonist2 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    You don't mention how much fat you want to lose, how much beer you drink, whether you're male or female (it matters), what you eat in a day, how long you've been 'trying' primal, how many other ways you've primal-ized your life...

1. eat the fat. All of it.

2. ditch the scale and let your clothes and mirror tell you what changes are happening.

3. if you're working out more, muscle weighs more than fat. Stop weighing, start measuring.

4. What other health improvements have you noticed?

5. Primal isn't a weight loss program, though it can help those who need it.

6. Ditch the beer. Switch to cider if you must drink fizzy booze from a bottle. At least its closer to primal than GRAIN based beer.
    +1
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.