Thread: Open Nature Uncured Bacon page

shep68 is offline Senior Member

Open Nature Uncured Bacon

Primal Fuel
    I was kicking around some of the threads here awhile back and this whole discussion of "organic grocery story" foods was being discussed. Safeway sells the Open Nature brand that some folks felt was basically a marketing ploy which may well be true. Never the less I've been searching for a suitable grocery store bacon to fill the void between trips to the butcher shop. I did purchase some of this Open Nature uncured applewood bacon and gotta say it tastes great. No nitrates/nitrites which as I understand is a good thing. Not saying this is the best there is but in trying to keep my bacon as primal as possible do you think this fits the bill? Anyone know of another brand that may be better? Keep in mind I only have access to a few chains: Safeway, King Sooper, Wal Mart, Target are basically it. There's a Sprouts about 30 miles away in a pinch too. Thanks.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Oscar Mayer has an uncured bacon that has been good when I have purchased it. It's usually at most big chain grocery stores.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Before you go running around worried about nitrates and nitrites, read this:

The Nitrate and Nitrite Myth: Another Reason not to Fear Bacon

IMO, the more important factor in good quality bacon is what the pig was fed, not the curing process. I've never found pastured bacon, and even uncured bacon comes from CAFO pigs in my experience. IMO, the only way around it is to find a source of pastured pork, buy pork belly and make your own bacon. For me, the miniscule nitrate/nitrite content is so small, I don't care about it. I get more nitrate/nitrite in my diet every time I swallow my own saliva than eating pounds and pounds of bacon. How much are you eating? I probably go through a pound a month if that, so I just buy standard bacon.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I agree with Choco on this as well. I have read enough to feel comfortable that nitrates in bacon are not killing me. If you are worried, then there are some good uncured brands, but you pay a price.

No, not really worried. Just interested in putting the best of available options in my gut. The butcher I go to gets his beef and hogs from pasture fed animals who are finished with corn. Not 100% primal but better than complete CAFO. Just wondering what grocery store brands will fill the bill. Thanks for the replies.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Honestly, if you're interested in putting the "best" in your gut, it would be no bacon. As far as meats go, bacon is somewhere in between hot dogs and skinless chicken breast. You have to have something to enjoy. The best thing is going to be home-cured bacon made from pastured pork belly, but that's not realistic for most of us. Since I assume you wouldn't want to give up bacon - and who would? - Open Nature will likely be some of the best stuff you'll get at a typical chain grocer. I say you're doing well - better than me because I usually buy Shop Rite brand unless I'm trying to impress and get the thick cut uncured applewood smoked bacon at Trader Joe's. That's going on my turkey this year because it is FANTASTIC.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Bacon really is awesome isn't it? Thank God for those little piggies!