Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many carbs a day to NOT trigger thyroid disturbance page

How many carbs a day to NOT trigger thyroid disturbance

Shop Now
    I've heard low carbs mess with thyroid function. I am hypo and am on Synthroid. I lost alot of hair last time I went low carb. Do you know how many carbs a day one should have to off set any thyroid disturbances?

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by uniquelymade View Post
    I've heard low carbs mess with thyroid function. I am hypo and am on Synthroid. I lost alot of hair last time I went low carb. Do you know how many carbs a day one should have to off set any thyroid disturbances?
    I provided this info in another post a while ago:
    My understanding:
    The possible issue with VLC for some people does not impact the function of the thyroid. It can impact thyroid hormone conversion. Thyroidmanager.org* suggests that people need a minimum of 50 grams/day of glucose for good T4( storage hormone)to T3( active hormone) conversion. With this in mind, ingesting less than 50 grams of carbs/day long term MAY negatively impact conversion.

I recall reading somewhere (can't remember where) that an issue with VLC and conversion is person specific- not impacted at all, impacted quickly with VLC, impacted after long term VLC or something in between.

That being said, other things can impact conversion as well:
    1. Not eating enough
    2. Low selenium. 200mcg/day is needed
    3. Low Vitamin D
    4. Low ferritin

* Effects of the Environment, Chemicals and Drugs on Thyroid Function – Thyroid Disease Manager
    scroll down to Nutrition
    The Non-Thyroidal Illness Syndrome – Thyroid Disease Manager
    scroll down to Low T3 states

I think you mentioned something about feeling best with a TSH of 3. It left me wondering if your medication dosage was determined by TSH alone. If you haven't had freeT4 and freeT3 tested I suggest you have those tests run.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Well the answer is none since you ask about "thyroid function".....but marcadav's answer is quite right as to why "some" people seem to have issue or report certain symptoms.

Here is a good article on it Low-Carb Diets and Hypothyroidism: A False Alarm A Worldly Monk

Timthetaco Guest
    I think 50 grams a day would serve as a good low point. And this should go without saying, but just in case, don't try to get to 50 grams with leafy greens and non-starchy vegetables. I would use a dense starch like white potatoes, white rice or cassava.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I tend to function best at 75-100g. I also think Tim has a point. Set it at 50 and adjust as necessary.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Thank you all so much!

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    My hair too sheds a lot on vlc. I lost 30+ lbs while in ketosis and other than my hair falling off i didn't experience other negative efect. Now i'm at 70 - 90 grams of carbs. Vegetables, few servings of fruit a day and sweet potato every other day are my carb sources. I'm neither losing or gaining now at 125 lbs and my hair is healthy and strong. If i am to go below 50 g for only a day, the shedding starts again. Kind of crazy.
    I would really like to lose a few more pounds, but i guess i'll just have to count calories from here on. No going back to vlc for me

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I had some severe hypothyroid symptoms going low carb for too long. I suspect the level of carbs needed to prevent thyroid suppression are different for everybody.

Chris Kresser is a pretty awesome paleo/primal type doctor who has a pretty informative website with some great articles, especially on thyroid. If you haven't read them, they are worth checking out:

http://chriskresser.com/thyroid

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    I had some severe hypothyroid symptoms going low carb for too long. I suspect the level of carbs needed to prevent thyroid suppression are different for everybody.
    ^This. +1.

I do much better when I get 60-80g of carbs a day. Below 50g is when it makes a difference in my thyroid levels.

brendavilleg is offline Junior Member
    I would use a dense starch like white potatoes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast