Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many carbs a day to NOT trigger thyroid disturbance page 2

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Are you getting any good dietary sources of iodine and selenium?

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by uniquelymade View Post
    I've heard low carbs mess with thyroid function. I am hypo and am on Synthroid. I lost alot of hair last time I went low carb. Do you know how many carbs a day one should have to off set any thyroid disturbances?
    If you know you have negative health issues reducing carbohydrate, why are you concerned about carb count? Carbohydrate has nothing to do with weight loss. Weight loss is calorie driven. Carbohydrate is not less healthy than fat. In fact, there are far more traditional societies eating higher carb/lower fat diets free of the diseases of modern civilization than traditional societies that eat higher fat/lower carb diets. Low carb diets are fairly rare throughout human history because most humans descended from warm and temperate weather regions where carbohydrates are plentiful and animals are lean. Very few of us are descendents of cold weather societies that ate fattier cuts of meat. Remember, animals in warm weather climates are generally lean where animals in poorly inhabited cold weather climates are often fatty. Historically speaking, your genetics probably would have to react better to a higher carbohydrate diet, which is probably why so many people have thyroid issues dropping carbs. It's not really natural.

This is worth a read.

Whole Health Source: Clarifications About Carbohydrate and Insulin

What matters is cutting out modern foods - grains, legumes, refined oils, preservatives, chemical sweeteners, thickeners, colorings and all that nasty stuff. A potato is just as healthy as a steak. Hell, we've been eating potatoes a lot longer than we've been eating steak! As long as you're eating whole foods, you'll get healthier and lean out regardless of macro breakdowns.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 10-18-2012 at 09:33 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

samknox is offline Junior Member
    One of the functions of T3, the active thyroid hormone, is metabolizing glucose. Low-carb diets reduce both T3 and insulin for the same reason: a reduced need to metabolize blood sugar.

There isn't a shred of evidence that reduced levels of T3 from a low-carb diet have any adverse effect.

Tee
    Tee is offline Senior Member
    Does hair come back once you up carbs, or is it gone forever?

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    In fact, there are far more traditional societies eating higher carb/lower fat diets free of the diseases of modern civilization than traditional societies that eat higher fat/lower carb diets.......
    Meh, not according to your source Whole Health Source: Composition of the Hunter-Gatherer Diet

"There are a number of striking things about the data once you sum them up. First of all, diet composition varied widely. Many groups were almost totally carnivorous, with 46 getting over 85% of their calories from hunted foods. However, not a single group out of 229 was vegetarian or vegan. No group got less than 15% of their calories from hunted foods, and only 2 of 229 groups ate 76-85% of their calories from gathered foods (don't forget, "gathered foods" also includes small animals). On average, the hunter-gatherer groups analyzed got about 70% of their calories from hunted foods. This makes the case that meat-heavy omnivory is our preferred ecological niche. However, it also shows that we can thrive on a plant-rich diet containing modest amounts of quality animal foods."

Thats a bit less than 25% of traditional HGs getting less than 15% carbohydrate and the "average" HG society getting less than 30%...so if you truly want to look at this from a traditional society sense then I would stick to these sorts of numbers. If you do well with higher that is fine and there are some societies that do so....I just wouldn't go making the statement that they are any way shape or form the majority. That is just false.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 10-19-2012 at 02:34 PM.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Experiment to find your optimal level, and don't be concerned if you are an outlier!
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    I have a question.
    If you take some natural T3/T4 (like Armoud Thyroid or Erfa Thyroid) should you be worried with the dangers of low carb eating ?
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    I think carbohydrate is just far too much of a focus in general when discussing thyroid health. It really is next to irrelevant. I like Kressers articles and suspect he gets much of it from this guy (which is listed as an "off site" resource) http://www.thyroidbook.com/. I've read it and he outlines 22 patterns for low thyroid function. Guess how many of those patterns are only due to lack of carbohydrate in the diet?

Now, I'm sure there are outliers that can not thrive on low carb. I get it. Eat the carbs then! But the fear and antiscientific reasoning against it really should stop.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 10-19-2012 at 02:56 PM.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    ^ Agreed. Iodine, magnesium and circadian rhythms are some other important factors.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My circadian rhythm is pretty much all f*cked up because of my elevated estradiol levels (TRT.)
    I don't have much REM sleep and feel totally unrefreshed even after 15 hours of sleep.

I supplemented in Iodine, I take Magnesium Citrate daily, and got my Urine Iodine Levels tested.
    Everything's fine in this domain.

I started Erfa Thyroid 15 mg this morning so it's yet to be effective
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast