Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Starting Strength Questions page 3

adamm is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by mark2741 View Post
    Thanks OscarC.
    I've been doing SS for the past 2.5 weeks and it's gone well with one major exception: the pinched nerve in my neck is not appreciating the back squats.
    Eh, this happened to me. I discovered the secret sauce to back squats and neck pain. Don't look up and don't look down. Keep your head aligned with your torso, puts much less pressure on the neck muscles.

If you can't do back squats, try goblet squats, front squats or even lunges. Though back squats are probably the most general leg strengthening exercise outside of deadlifts. Both front and goblet squats tend to work the quads a bit more, which is fine, as your glutes/hammies will still get stimulation, and will get plenty more from the dealifts.

--Me

OscarC is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mark2741 View Post
    Thanks OscarC.
    I've been doing SS for the past 2.5 weeks and it's gone well with one major exception: the pinched nerve in my neck is not appreciating the back squats. [...] I had thought about posting it to the SS forum but you know how that would have gone - "There is no substitute!" I agree, but there's no way I can continue fighting through this as I'm concerned it'll make things worse.
    I'd be curious about the advice you'd get. Yes, they certainly would argue that the squat is the most basic of all lifts, and the most important. But, they may say that, if you do them with proper form, your neck should not hurt and should get better. That happened to me: I had chronic pain on my knee and my shoulder (unrelated injuries), and I thought SS would be a problem. Well, no more pain. Form is more important than I ever thought, but it is very difficult to learn it without a coach. I have found the SS DVD very useful, but they have a ton of videos in their YouTube channel. I think, however, that the DVD is worth every penny. It is cheaper than ONE session with a personal trainer. Let me just add that neither your neck nor your arms should be under any stress during the squat (they're probably the only two body parts not used in the squat!). So, it could very well be that your problem is very serious, but, in general, proper form should alleviate this kind of problem, rather than the opposite.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123