Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to be primal when you are allergic to everything?? page 2

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    eggs, fatty meats and fish, tallow, lard, marrow, butter, ghee... hollandaise sauce.

tropical fruits are super high in sugar and for somebody who may potentially need to heal her gut, probably best avoided anyway. lots of folks have issues with nuts. i prefer broccoli and spinach cooked as well. easier to digest, and i can eat
    "more" since the water volume is so greatly reduced. a giant mountain of raw spinach leaves cooks down to a pretty manageable serving.

as an aside, she should try to have bone broth everyday. for healing and for minerals. i have it most days with some butter melted in and some seaweed. a great way to get in fats and cals, without feeling like i have eaten a lot.

As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member
    Order a small amount of pemican at first. It's not that it's a bad flavor, but it's a little bland, and I have I slight textural issue with it. That being said, when I'm hiking (working up a hunger) it tastes like manna from heaven.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    She is allergic to like, everything. She is allergic to coconut (like anaphalactic shock allergic, not mildly allergic), allergic to avocado, allergic to bannana, papaya, mango, most tropical fruits, walnuts, some other nuts but I can't remember which at the moment, ok with roasted almonds, but raw not so much. Lets see what else... cucumbers, raw spinach (steamed or cooked ok, finding salad mix was fun) and raw brocholi, again cooked ok.

So besides butter, how do I get her fat intake up?
    could you give a list of what you mean by fatty cuts?
    You can totally do this diet without eating nuts and coconut and tropical (or any sweet) fruit. You don't have to eat cucumbers, spinach or raw broccoli, either. Go to a farmer's market or other market with a REAL selection and see what an amazing array of veggies there are beyond the basics.

There's nothing wrong with butter and olive oil being the main added oils for cooking and salads. That's pretty much 99% of what I use and I'm still alive.

Some good fatty cuts include:
    - pork butt roast
    - pork belly
    - beef rib eye
    - beef NY strip
    - any beef steak with a good rind of fat on it
    - fatty fish like salmon, herring, sardines, mackerel
    - some say liver is fatty but I'm not sure if that's a FATTY cut of meat
    - duck, whoo boy is that stuff fatty!
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Palm oil is a great oil to cook with - it can withstand high temps without degrading like olive oil, so it's great for cooking.

It sounds like your sister has some complicated stuff going on, like many of us here

I've had years of IBS that involved bloating, abdominal pain, and constipation. It took me years to figure out what was triggering it, which turned out to be too many vegetables (especially big salads), eating too much at once (I do better with smaller meals), and overall too much fiber. Also stress, which I realized could really eff me up no matter how great my diet is.

What's going on with your sister may be totally different from my situation, so my advice might not work, but what helped me was to:

1. lower my fiber (cut back veggies, peel and deseed everything, also not to eat any raw veggies, those are harder on the system)
    2. take L-glutamine, an amino acid that the body produces naturally (but in times of stress, illness, or trauma often doesn't produce enough of) which over time will help the body to make needed repairs.
    3. bone broth, probiotics, fermented/cultured foods to help promote good gut flora.
    4. Work on reducing stress and improving sleep quality.

I can't emphasize how important destressing and good sleep is...if you're interesting in reading about how critical sleep and stress are to health, I highly recommend reading:

Journal of medicine and life | The effect of stress on the defense systems

imgliniel is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    Palm oil is a great oil to cook with - it can withstand high temps without degrading like olive oil, so it's great for cooking.

It sounds like your sister has some complicated stuff going on, like many of us here

*snip*

4. Work on reducing stress and improving sleep quality.

I can't emphasize how important destressing and good sleep is...if you're interesting in reading about how critical sleep and stress are to health, I highly recommend reading:

Journal of medicine and life | The effect of stress on the defense systems
    Umm... thats funny because she has pretty darn bad insomnia problems. Her energy has been up since starting this she does not feel as tired and lethargic but she is not sleeping any better, maybe even worse she says. She sleeps WITH THE TV ON!!!!! and I can't seem to convince her the blue light is what is effing her up. She says the dark freaks her out. But then she will sleep until like 2 in the afternoon some days. I guess when it catches up with her and she can't take it anymore. I have never really dealt with sleep problems so besides trying to get her to turn off the tv or drink chamomile etc before bed I am at a loss.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    yipes. the tv is wrecking her sleep for sure. she may need a white noise maker instead. when i sleep home, instead of @ the b/f's, i keep a fan running because my neighb is noisy.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

patski is offline Senior Member
    Buy lard.

Duck fat.

Render beef tallow.

She's gotta eat protein and she's gotta get her fat in. I eat coconut oil, but animal fats just taste better to me. And they go well with EVERYTHING.

I have a shit ton of food allergies too. Eggs, dairy, kale, turmeric, vanilla. Loads more. Once you clear out all the stuff you can't eat, food planning while rigid, becomes very simple, and very free-ing.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

patski is offline Senior Member
    She has trouble sleeping?

Does she have an iPhone or iPod Touch?

She absolutely NEEDS to download some binaural beats. The folks at Tesla Audio make several awesome and very inexpensive apps. There's plenty for helping with sleep. I swear to you, if I start listening to a 'relaxation' track, my mind immediately switches into CHILL OUT NOW mode, and after about 30 minutes, I feel verrrrry relaxed. Almost like taking a perc.

But better. Obviously.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by patski View Post
    Buy lard.

Duck fat.

Render beef tallow.

She's gotta eat protein and she's gotta get her fat in. I eat coconut oil, but animal fats just taste better to me. And they go well with EVERYTHING.

I have a shit ton of food allergies too. Eggs, dairy, kale, turmeric, vanilla. Loads more. Once you clear out all the stuff you can't eat, food planning while rigid, becomes very simple, and very free-ing.
    Do you find your food allergies resolving at all as you continue being Primal? I'm wondering more about the IgG allergies (latent) and not the IgE kind that can cause anaphylaxis. I believe I have food sensitivities but not traditional allergies that people think about when the word is mentioned.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by imgliniel View Post
    Umm... thats funny because she has pretty darn bad insomnia problems. Her energy has been up since starting this she does not feel as tired and lethargic but she is not sleeping any better, maybe even worse she says. She sleeps WITH THE TV ON!!!!! and I can't seem to convince her the blue light is what is effing her up. She says the dark freaks her out. But then she will sleep until like 2 in the afternoon some days. I guess when it catches up with her and she can't take it anymore. I have never really dealt with sleep problems so besides trying to get her to turn off the tv or drink chamomile etc before bed I am at a loss.
    I've been downloading meditation podcasts from TheMeditationPodcast.com for free using iTunes and putting them on my ipod to listen to in bed to help me fall asleep. Episode #14 is especially good for falling asleep. They use binaural beats which supposedly helps to stimulate brain waves similar to REM. It's really helped me a lot, since I tend to get anxiety before bedtime.

The Meditation Podcast - Episode Fourteen - Rejuvenating Sleep - Nov '11

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast