Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fat Burning and running-Question page 2

Neely is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thanks relaygirl, I'll have a look at that now. I've just read the link posted above, Phil Maffetone, and that's given me a headache trying to get my head around that so I know how you feel! I also agree with your stress-free approach but I'd just like to maximise my diet and athletic output. My diet is high protein, moderate fat and carbs so I wonder if that alters anything.

Halfacre is offline Junior Member
    I'm running a 7 mile trail run tomorrow. Going on fat, we'll see how it goes.

Also assumes Hurricane Sandy stays away until late morning.

zilog is offline Senior Member
    How did you get on?

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    Very glad to see this thread. Been wondering about this myself. Took out my new heart rate monitor for the first time yesterday and despaired of ever using running as a fat burning exercise based on the results. I've been primal for a month now and have no idea if I'm adapted or not. Feel great. Felt great running (only out for 40 minutes) yesterday but my heart rate was way over what I thought the fat burning target was supposed to be for most all the run. Also except for coffee with heavy cream in the morning I never really got hungry til dinner around 6 my local time so I didn't eat til then. I've been walking on my lunch hour (60 min, 3 times weekly) but after yesterday thought maybe I would just have to consider using running as play since I still just enjoy it. (Shrug...)
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

Sorry for the delayed response on the trail run. I've been dealing with Hurricane Sandy issues. Still no power, but everyone is safe and property undamaged. Very Lucky.

Run was great. I didn't feel tired, didn't pay attention to heartrate, and went all 7 miles without eating anything. Didn't feel hungry afterward, either.

zilog is offline Senior Member
    Good news! (about the storm, and the run). What did you eat (if anything) for breakfast before the run? What about the day/week before? Primarily fats? Also, how long were you running for?

BlackGirlPaleo is offline Junior Member
    Embarking on the Paleo journey (literally starting today!) and really interested in knowing how it will affect my running.

I'll be watching this thread closely.

Also, how does one know when one is a "fat-burner"? I just started reading PB 21 Day so not sure if it's covered in there or not.

The only way to know for sure exactly how much fat/sugar you burn through different heart rate zones is to get metabolic testing (resting/running while wearing neoprene mask)

Sorry for not posting more. I still have no power and therefore no internet except at work. Yes, 9 days without power. Generator running fridge and lights, but no cable etc.

Anyway, in some ways it allows me to be more primal and in other ways less. Its a mixed bag.

I ate some eggs with cheddar cheese before the race, nothing during. It took me 1:14 which I am very happy about, it was very hilly and I am not a good runner, so was pleased with it overall.

In the time leading up I was well under 100grams of carbs per day for at least 2 weeks. Wasn't concentrating on eating a lot of fat, but obviously there was some. Lots of eggs and meat.

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Phinney and Volek (Amazon.com: The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance (9780983490715): Jeff S. Volek, Stephen D. Phinney: Books) have pretty well demolished the notion of heart rate (as a proxy for % VO2 max) and the "fat burning zone." That concept only applies if you're tied to carbohydrate. The period of adaptation varies from one individual to the next, and hydration management is key. Critical to that is sodium intake - you need more because in low carb, the body no longer clings to sodium.

Read the book if you want to be athletic and low carb - the performance gains they document are amazing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast