Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not enjoying food anymore. page

Shane. is offline Junior Member

Not enjoying food anymore.

I started trying to get on the primal diet a few months ago and apart from the odd slip up I have been doing very well and yes although I do feel better in myself and I have lost a small amount of weight but now I feel like I'm eating for the sake of eating rather than enjoying food. My diet has roughly been:

Breakfast: 2 Egg omlette and yakult blueberry yogurt
    Midmorning: Tin of mackerel with spinach and a protein shake (full milk)
    Lunch: Sliced steak salad with olive oil
    Midafternoon: Pistachio nuts and an apple
    Post training: Protein shake and 2 egg turkey omlette

I dont enjoy this atall so find eating a chore, I am wondering if I can realistically eat a mixture of my old diet and new yet still feel ok and get in shape? I am fine with the fruit and nuts as snacks but really do not enjoy the salad. I know some people have substituted components of there diet for more healthier option? I cannot cook anything through the day as I work from a van. I get about 10 mins prep time on an evening to make everything so would like to stick to that. Was thinking possibly something like:

Breakfast: Bran flakes and yakult blueberry yogurt
    Midmorning: Protein shake and pistachio nuts
    Lunch: Grannary bread and beef or lamb sandwich
    Midafternoon: Apple and oat bar
    Post training: Protein shake and tin of fish

I currentely train Krav maga 2-3 times a week which has a big conditioning session at the start and then having a lifting/abs session on the weekend. I also walk/jog every morning/evening with the dog and do a small morning circuit consisting of turkish get ups, push ups, crunches and squats.

Any advice would be great thanks

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    - WAY too much exercise
    - Ditch the yakult and protein shakes - they're giving you more cravings
    - Eat more food. How many calories are you consuming?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I actually don't think your training too much. From what I see it looks to be primarily in the low and slow or functional categories with your 2-3x skill work/week....so seems fine.

If your not enjoying food you could buy a book like these Everyday Paleo from Sarah Fragoso - Paleo Recipes and Paleo Talk Podcast or just search websites for new ideas like here http://nomnompaleo.com/. Getting inventive with different types and combinations of food stuff can really bring some zing back to your palate.

If you only got 10 min. in the evening then buy a slow cooker and use it! Make some of the most nutritious and delicious primal foods available this way. Ribs, stews, roasts, broth....start with a fatty meat add veggies, spices, and herbs to taste....set it on low and 8-10 hours later you've got several servings of great stuff to last you through the week.

Either way, most people have problems with emotional eating and relying on TOO much enjoyment coming strictly from food. Food is fuel. It can also be an enjoyable event and there is no reason not to be when its highly nutritious, but you don't have to cultivate a dependance on it (food related dopamine rush that is).

Looks to me like you need to get a spice and herb rack going and learn how to experiment with different combos.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 10-18-2012 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I actually don't think your training too much. From what I see it looks to be primarily in the low and slow or functional categories with your 2-3x skill work/week....so seems fine.
    Ab work on the weekend and doing circuit training and jogging every day counts as slow movement? Mmmm okay.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I'd go out and get a primal cookbook or even some magazines like Saveur or Bon Appetit, look at primal food blogs.... and start cooking.

I am BIG on enjoying food, and you can do a lot with primal cooking without resorting to adding bread. I had BBQ ribs the other day. Make primal pancakes for breakfast. Try new stuff like kimchi and kombucha. I eat salad like once a month. Have your steak with a side of roasted asparagus, sweet potato, cauliflower mash, braised green beans, sauted kale, cabbage cooked with bacon.

Don't limit yourself.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    throwing a bunch of ingredients in a crock pot takes 5 minutes

so you have 5 extra free minutes a day

wheeeee!
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Anna Katherine is offline Senior Member
    These threads has some really great ideas. Part of the fun of going primal is learning how to cook again. Trying new food combos and breaking free of old food ideas.
    "Though she be but little, she is fierce!" - William Shakespeare

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post964333 (My journal)

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    And re-reading, you have time constraints. OK, well good eating requires some time commitment if you want to keep it diverse and enjoyable. Maybe you just need to commit to taking some time each week to log some time in the kitchen.

There is probably no way to eat with minimal food prep time that is healthy and long term enjoyable. But, it's important, really important to create a healthy diet that you find sustainable. You obviously make time in your day to exercise, but eating healthy is just as, if not MORE important. On average I spend about 30 minutes a day cooking (and cleaning up). Some days it is more, some days it is less.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE=Shane.;981875]
    I currentely train Krav maga 2-3 times a week which has a big conditioning session at the start and then having a lifting/abs session on the weekend. I also walk/jog every morning/evening with the dog and do a small morning circuit consisting of turkish get ups, push ups, crunches and squats. /QUOTE]

Ok....so this is what the OP does. You really think this is "WAY too much exercise"? Come on! 2-3x skills training....fine. "A (as in one) lifting/abs session on the weekend....fine. Walk/jog 2x/day.....fine. "Small" moring circuit of body weight movements...fine.

Jogging IS slow movement for most people....I can't get my heart rate above the "low and slow" area with a jog. The morning circuit is NOT chronic in any manner. I assumed these to be bodyweight. Some pushups, airsquats, crunches and such on a daily basis is perfectly OK.

Anyway, the OP is not "enjoying" food and I think we can focus more on that.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I know. I am just picking at it because personally, when I have lots of stressors such as exercise, I don't enjoy ANYTHING.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast