Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not enjoying food anymore. page 2

PrimalMama is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane. View Post
    Breakfast: 2 Egg omlette and yakult blueberry yogurt
    Midmorning: Tin of mackerel with spinach and a protein shake (full milk)
    Lunch: Sliced steak salad with olive oil
    Midafternoon: Pistachio nuts and an apple
    Post training: Protein shake and 2 egg turkey omlette

I dont enjoy this atall so find eating a chore, I am wondering if I can realistically eat a mixture of my old diet and new yet still feel ok and get in shape? I am fine with the fruit and nuts as snacks but really do not enjoy the salad. I know some people have substituted components of there diet for more healthier option? I cannot cook anything through the day as I work from a van. I get about 10 mins prep time on an evening to make everything so would like to stick to that. Was thinking possibly something like:

Breakfast: Bran flakes and yakult blueberry yogurt
    Midmorning: Protein shake and pistachio nuts
    Lunch: Grannary bread and beef or lamb sandwich
    Midafternoon: Apple and oat bar
    Post training: Protein shake and tin of fish
    okay, JUST looking at your food...
    I'd cut out the yakult (is the blueberry flavor sweetened?) and the protein shake. Most likely non-primal, and they don't really add anything to the meal plan's excitement (at least for me). I personally wouldn't make the tin of mackerel (what are they packed in?) or the pistachio + apple snack a regular thing either... but that's just me.

There are TONS of meals and grab-able snacks you can make with a very small amount of prep time... Hard boiled eggs, quiche muffins, pre-cooked bacon, sausage, beef, salmon, chicken, or other meat (someone mentioned nom nom paleo - she talks about "emergency protein" all the time!), cut up (or whole) veggies, individual servings of cheese (only if you tolerate dairy), homemade kale chips (toss bite-size pieces of kale w/evoo, sea salt & seasonings of your choice, bake at 350F for about 15min [until crispy] - when cooled, you can keep in the refrigerator), primal trail mix (mine is just raw nuts + raw seeds + no-sugar/sulfites-added dried fruit + 80% dark chocolate tossed in a quart size zip-top bag), beef jerky, primal pacs or paleo kits, lara bars (specifically this brand because it is JUST fruit + nuts - avoid the peanut ones though!)... a lot of fruits are easy to grab too (you didn't mention how much weight, if any, you need to lose?)

for an on-the-go lunch - you can make a "sandwich" with a lettuce/cabbage/green wrap (Mastering the Collard Wrap | Honest Fare). eat hot leftovers out of a thermos-type container, or room-temp leftovers out of a different kind of container. I don't have access to a kitchen or anything either for lunch - I usually bring leftovers to eat at room temp - usually some sort of protein + whatever veggies were laying around + trail mix + maybe fruit. Sometimes I buy lunch (salad from chipotle, bunless burger, pay-per-pound salad bar eats, etc.), sometimes I fast...you may want to look into intermittent fasting.

Crockpot recipes are AWESOME for limited prep time...
    You mention omelets twice, so I know you're in the kitchen twice a day... boiling eggs, baking a batch of quiche muffins, a tray of kale chips, a pound of bacon (oven bacon = easy, awesome, and no splatters on the stovetop), roasting veggies/sweet potatoes, popping some stuff in a crockpot - these are all things that could be done while you're going about your morning or evening routine - you're already in the kitchen to cook & eat that omelet anyway... I'm guessing you have more than one burner, so make full use of your kitchen (have things going on 4 burners + the oven + the crockpot - you'll have a week's worth of meals without even thinking about it!)
    Last edited by PrimalMama; 10-18-2012 at 11:02 AM. Reason: because I don't know the difference between mackerel and sardines, apparently.

shep68 is offline Senior Member
    I'd be bored w/ that diet too. I know it's just one example you gave, but you're basically living on a few eggs and a little bit of turkey and steak with nuts and fruit and shakes thrown in. Dump the shakes as others have mentioned and get your protein from the vast variety of meats available out there. A burger, a medium steak, a chicken breast, a pork chop, a salmon steak all take about 10-15 mins cook time in the frying pan w/ some olive oil. While not strictly Paleo you can add some bbq sauce, mustards, horseradish sauce etc. to jazz things up. Plenty of spices available as well to make things tasty. Steam up some veggies at the same time and you're eating w/in 20 mins. Double the portion and take the other half for lunch the next day. Keep the nuts and fruits as snacks every now and then. Throw in some green olives, bacon and hard boiled eggs to shake up the blahs. Between pork, bird, beef and fish there is plenty of variety to keep meals interesting.
    Last edited by shep68; 10-18-2012 at 01:04 PM.

Rocco Hill is offline Senior Member
    You're not excercising too much(though you don't need the circuit thing every morning), but you are undereating. That looks criminally low in calories.

Try fasting for a day or two, and then tell me you're bored with eating. Add red meat, offal and some damn carbs into your day. Drop the olive oil and replace with a better fat source, and replace the protein shake with food.

You're eating a wimpy amount of food and you say you're bored? No shit.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    I dunno, I think it's a GOOD thing that you don't enjoy food. It means that food no longer has a hold on you. But your menu is too girlie for a manly man like you:

Too much dairy.
    Too much whey powder. I think one scoop is fine but lots of people here don't.
    Too many omelets.
    Too many snack-sized meals.
    Salads are a girly pain. You wash all that lettuce and it won't even stay on a fork for you.

You're a man. Eat like a man. Three big fatty, meaty meals a day.
    Frozen vegetables will save you incredible amounts of time.

Breakfast: Three egg omelet with lots of butter, a protein smoothie, and an apple. That should hold you to lunch.

Lunch: 1/2 pound of ground beef baked in coconut oil. 1/2 a sweet potato. 1/2 cup or so of some other veggie. If you need dessert, have berries.

Dinner: Chicken thigh or fish fliet, starchy veg like carrots, frozen leafy veg like spinach/Kale.

No snackies. You won't need them.

All of this will take very little time to stick in the oven, and you can make a whole week of meals at once.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

patski is offline Senior Member
    Read my blog, bro.

Seriously.

Pork butt, flank steak, lamb...oh my god...turkey and chicken are SO BORING.

Eat lard. Slather veggies with duck fat.

Holy god, I hate protein shakes. They never, EVER keep me full.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

patski is offline Senior Member
    Oxide has the right idea!
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Shane. is offline Junior Member
    I like oxides idea although I can't get on with sweet potato I've tried but not a fan atall. One idea I saw looking through recipes is a paleo soup that could be put in a flask?
    Last edited by Shane.; 10-21-2012 at 09:23 AM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    I know. I am just picking at it because personally, when I have lots of stressors such as exercise, I don't enjoy ANYTHING.
    My reply reads a bit ...snippy....and I didn't intend it that way, so sorry bout that.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Oxide is right but the one thing he kinda misses saying is that all that "girlie" food isn't good for girls, either. It's not girlie food, it's weak people food.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12