Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A peek at my HONEYBEES! page 2

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    Primal Fuel
    I am so blessed to live where I live!

People have started rooftop beekeeping in cities...although most of their nectar sources seem to be trash cans I think!
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

meeme is offline Senior Member
    Wonderful pictures of your bee keeping, Thanks for sharing with us. Your hive super is huge, for a new hive I wasn't expecting it to be so large. I'd love to have a hive but haven't done it yet. I've had acres of aster, milk thistle and goldenrod for decades...it looks messy but it provides for the bees, insects, birds and animals. So far no one has come and told me I have to mow it down because it's a weed menace!! Most of our acreage, aside from where the horses live, looks like yours...we have a nice section of forest too.

I'm a bit south of you just north of Gettysburg.

Thanks again...nice pictures and it's wonderful you have a bee whisperer to teach you. His name is the same as mine..he's just missing an 'e'.. Good on ya!
    A Woman's Place Is In The Revolution.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    Oh I see you're in Pennswoods!

Funny aside...I used to do conservation work for the USDA. ...and I had to TELL people to mow down these nectar sources because they weren't grass! I'm so glad that I dont have that pulling at my conscience anymore.

The top box of my hive is empty and I have a bucket feeder that I can put in there (when I started the hive I had to supplement with sugar water so they had enough to draw out all of the new comb.
    Check out my blog on nature and nurture!
    http://thewoodsygal.com/

meeme is offline Senior Member
    That is funny...When my son was small I mowed paths for him and he'd play in there all day. I couldn't see him but I could hear him...then someone got it into their head to complain and I was told I had 24 hours to mow the field (it was just one 3 acre field then) or face a big fine...that my field had noxious weeds and had to go. I asked who decided what plant was noxious and what wasn't...he wasn't amused. I had to go around town and beg for help to get a tractor in here, I didn't have one then. That made me really sad...but aside from one other time that field hasn't been mowed in probably 20 years...it's slowly returning to forest again but there is a lot of food in there.

I don't care if people understand me...my efforts to give the wild things a home has paid off...among other things we have a thriving Blue Heron colony...I actually saw a porcupine next to my house one evening. I could hardly believe it!! So something is working. We're the first little place outside of town so we don't live way out...but we have a little wildlife haven for the wild things.

I want some bees...:0) I had an Uncle in Australia that raised bees and the sweet gum honey was wonderful. I don't see many bees here anymore....not like I used to anyway. It worries me. Everything gets pollinated though.
    A Woman's Place Is In The Revolution.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12