Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this even worth it? page

Drumroll is offline Senior Member

Is this even worth it?

Primal Fuel
    Holy lean meats Batman!

You mean to tell me that a pound of rabbit meat, an ENTIRE POUND, has 10 grams TOTAL of fat?

Ok, ok... Pass me the butter AND coconut oil, I'm gonna need BOTH for this bad boy.

So, with meat that lean, is it even worth it? Since you have to douse it in oil to have any sort of decent fat content?

Yikes, maybe I should just get some bacon and wrap the damned pieces up with it.

annedawso is offline Senior Member
    Good idea re the fats and bacon and maybe grated full fat cheese over it.
    Never tried rabbit, dont really eat that in the UK.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Wild rabbit is cheaper in my local butcher than good quality chicken, so I eat it regularly. I cook bacon, onions and herbs in lots of butter, then add the rabbit and stock and stew it slowly for several hours.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    There's a long line of people waiting to pick up their rabbit sausage at the farmer's market. So it must be very tasty. I haven't yet tried it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Leida is offline Senior Member
    OMG, I love rabbit meat. But it's so hard to get and I only once saw it in the Asian grocery I frequent. (Sigh) Sometimes I dream about trapping huge fat hares at the golf course next to my backyard. My friend is telling me that if they are actually in my yard, I can trap and eat them legally. Rabbit trap is like 70$ though and I am uncertain I can butcher one...
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

inesenite is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by annedawso View Post
    Never tried rabbit, dont really eat that in the UK.
    I was very surprised to learn that you guys don't eat rabbits - watched Great British Food Revival on BBC yesterday and thought - lucky buggers, they get a rabbit for a pound at the butchers, whereas here in Belgium I pay 15 EUR for it And the UK ones are wild too - they are basically pests and because people won't eat them, thousands of kilos of perfectly good meat end up in landfills Ship it here! Once you cross the Channel, it's a real staple - almost like chicken. Never ate it much back home in Latvia but since moving to Belgium I cook it at least once a fortnight.

Back to the original question - yes, the meat is really lean but so are lots of other great meats, especially game. Actually all my favourite meats - kangaroo, ostrich, venison etc. are lean - that way I have more opportunities to indulge in my favourite fats - bacon, butter, olive oil, avocados and nuts Win-win I say!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I guess one way to figure out if it's worth it is to compare what you pay per pound for the meat and what you pay per pound for the added fat (butter, oil, etc.). One of the reasons I balk at buying certain cuts of meat is that I'm paying for the weight of the fat and bone. But that's just me; I don't want to pay $15/lb for something where a third of its weight is bone and fat, when worst case scenario, good butter is $5-6/lb.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Inesenite - I think the cost of rabbit in the UK depends a lot on where you live and if you have access to a butcher, as opposed to just a normal supermarket.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    most meat is naturally lean. particularly anything that would be considered "game" meat. thats the way it is supposed to be. why the need to "douse it in oil?" seems silly to me.

Alaska Ang is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    most meat is naturally lean. particularly anything that would be considered "game" meat. thats the way it is supposed to be. why the need to "douse it in oil?" seems silly to me.
    Agreed - Our main staple is moose, and fat content barely registers for an 8 oz portion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast