Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this even worth it? page 2

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Rabbit meat is certainly available in the UK, but many people (myself definitely NOT included!!) don't eat it. Where I live it's quite expensive to buy from the butcher (£5.00 a rabbit), but it's free from my garden And we certainly have plenty of the little b*ggers there.

I like to stew them with onion, garlic, thyme, chicken stock and plenty of red wine.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    most meat is naturally lean. particularly anything that would be considered "game" meat. thats the way it is supposed to be. why the need to "douse it in oil?" seems silly to me.
    Yep. Most likely our Paleolithic ancestors didn't have access to pork belly and had to catch wild game for meat, too.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Yep. Most likely our Paleolithic ancestors didn't have access to pork belly and had to catch wild game for meat, too.
    But they ate the fatty organs too
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Yes, the entire animal.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    most meat is naturally lean. particularly anything that would be considered "game" meat. thats the way it is supposed to be. why the need to "douse it in oil?" seems silly to me.
    Because the fats contained in those oils are wonderfully healthy for you?

I mean, vegetables are normally "naturally" fat free, and yet, we sauté them in coconut oil, douse them in butter, ghee, and olive oil... This is ok for veggies but not for meat?

Alaska Ang is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post

I mean, vegetables are normally "naturally" fat free, and yet, we sauté them in coconut oil, douse them in butter, ghee, and olive oil... This is ok for veggies but not for meat?
    It's okay for either if that's your preference. But it's certainly not necessary. My preference is to enjoy the natural flavor of most things - for vegetables it's steamed and for lean meat it's grilled medium rare. No dousing of either in anything.

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    I get some venison once in a while. You could have whoever makes it use the visceral fat to be ground with the meat and give you a good 80/20 even though its wild. Not much of an extra step AND far less wasteful...look at me ma I'm eating nose to tail!

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post

wow.. the "if some is good, more is better" argument. to each their own i guess.. not sure how you prepare meat in your house, but in my house i never douse it in oil or fat. a little butter/bacon fat/coconut oil in the pan to cook, sure. no need to add excess oil to meat because its lean. like i said earlier, real meat is naturally lean. fats/oils/etc are basically condiments and cooking tools.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    I see a Livestrong.com bit that says 3 oz of rabbit contains 6.8 grams fat and another site that said the same portion contains about 7g total fat. Are you talking saturated fat only? It is high protein and rich in B12, B3 and selenium.

There is more to meat than the fat content. But, since it is relatively low fat, by all means cook with bacon! Good combination.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    Rabbit is very lean--you can starve eating nothing but rabbit because it doesn't contain enough fat to sustain life. Luckily, we have a more varied diet than that. I have a local source for rabbit but I haven't had much success with it--it has either been tough and stringy or when I tried cooking it long and slow to make it tender it ended up so tender it was unpleasantly mushy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast