Thread: Damn you bird meat! page

Drumroll is offline Senior Member

Damn you bird meat!

Primal Fuel
    I just located a solid source of pasture-raised goose meat which is quite fatty and therefore very primal approved.

But when I put it into cronometer it has twice the omega-6 levels of pork or maybe even a bit more. I know people say not to worry about it when it's from animal fat vs. plant sources, but yikes! That's a lot... Not sure if over 15 grams of omega-6 fats per pound is worth the trouble. And it's 1 gram of omega-3 in the same serving, so 15 to 1 ratio of O6 to O3. Quick, someone pass the fish oil!

That's not nut levels but it would add up. Darn bird meat and it's friggin' high levels of omega-6s.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Relax. Serve with an anchovy sauce
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I wish the whole omega 6 in pork and fowl thing would just go away. It's not the same fatty acids as soybean oil. You will be fine eating it. Many cultures have based their diet on pork and been healthy and for you, it's just a meal.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I wish the whole omega 6 in pork and fowl thing would just go away. It's not the same fatty acids as soybean oil. You will be fine eating it. Many cultures have based their diet on pork and been healthy and for you, it's just a meal.
    I'm not trying to be contentious, but the main omega-6 fatty acid in nuts, poultry and pork is linoleic acid, so technically it is the same fatty acid.

BUT I agree that the hype is probably overblown. I can't imagine that having pork as your main source of calories would be harmful, especially if it is pastured pork. Enjoy your goose. And eat the skin!