Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I ate 3 apples today= 72 grams of sugar is that bad!? page

VeggieLover is offline Senior Member

I ate 3 apples today= 72 grams of sugar is that bad!?

I had three fuji apples today, is it bad to have that much fruit and 72 grams of sugar even if it is fructose?

I read an article by Chris Kresser that said fructose is not bad unless it is in the form of a liquid, and also if it is consumed as excess calories.

I also started breaking out this week, have been eating a lot of apples (went apple picking), and am wondering if there is a connection?

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    3 apples won't kill you.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Tis the season. Enjoy the fruits and veggies of the harvest. I'm sure our ancestors wouldn't have thought twice about it.

boxcarguy07 is offline Senior Member
    Where are you getting that 3 apples is 72 grams of sugar? That seems really high, even for very large apples
    I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boxcarguy07 View Post
    Where are you getting that 3 apples is 72 grams of sugar? That seems really high, even for very large apples
    True dat. It's nearly double the correct amount. Again, depending on the apple.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

VeggieLover is offline Senior Member
    Plugged it into daily plate and thats what it gave me. I didn't eat any other sugar today

Timthetaco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by VeggieLover View Post
    I read an article by Chris Kresser that said fructose is not bad unless it is in the form of a liquid, and also if it is consumed as excess calories.
    Kresser speaks the truth. Listen to Kresser, for he is wise.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    No. Generally speaking, there is nothing wrong with sugar, and traditional societies that eat diets high in sugar from whole foods are just as healthy and lean as traditional societies with lower carbohydrate intake. Think of it like this:

Apples =/= HFCS anymore than butter =/= soybean oil.

This is a phenomenal article to read and takes traditional societies with very high sugar intakes (>50% dietary calories from SUGAR) and shows that they suffer from no diseases of modern civilization.

Whole Health Source: Sugar Intake and Body Fatness in Non-industrial Cultures

Also worth a read:

Whole Health Source: Is Sugar Fattening?

Eat as many apples as you want. If they stall your weight loss, it's solely due to calorie intake. They're good for you, so enjoy.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 10-17-2012 at 09:39 PM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

catbreu is offline Senior Member
    Thank you, Choco for being a voice of sanity. Many traditional societies would think it folly to eliminate a group of macro-nutrients and I can bet money on them not caring for carb counting.

If people think that fruit was not a part of our ancesteral diet, they should take a look at Denise Minger's post on wild "ancient" fruits: Wild and Ancient Fruit: Is it Really Small, Bitter, and Low in Sugar? Raw Food SOS

I personally do not like telling people what they should or should not do. What you put into your body is a personal decision, but one thing I can say is that the human body is designed to be resilient and adaptive. It being able to handle the moderate consumption of a variety of things is a sign of good health.

If you are not there yet, step back, take a deep breath, smile and then reevaluate. Three apples is definitely something Grok would have eaten at this time of year. They are not the enemy

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    No. Generally speaking, there is nothing wrong with sugar, and traditional societies that eat diets high in sugar from whole foods are just as healthy and lean as traditional societies with lower carbohydrate intake. Think of it like this:

Apples =/= HFCS anymore than butter =/= soybean oil.

This is a phenomenal article to read and takes traditional societies with very high sugar intakes (>50% dietary calories from SUGAR) and shows that they suffer from no diseases of modern civilization.

Whole Health Source: Sugar Intake and Body Fatness in Non-industrial Cultures

Also worth a read:

Whole Health Source: Is Sugar Fattening?

Eat as many apples as you want. If they stall your weight loss, it's solely due to calorie intake. They're good for you, so enjoy.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    depends. I mean, when I add up all the veggies that I had today, I had 63 grams of carbohydrate, if I added 72 grams to that, then I'd be at 135g of carbohydrate today, which would be high for me considering my usual averages but really not big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast