Thread: migraines? page

maranne is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

I was just wondering if any of you are fellow sufferers and if so what you do to combat them?

By switching to a more Primal lifestyle the frequency of getting them has gone down a lot but I still get them.

M x

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

Maranne, I have had a migraine since Friday. I think the vegas heat/wind triggered it. This morning I took 3 excedrin and it feels better but I'm still fuzzy and sensitive to light/sound. I seem to get them a couple times a month but they usually don't last this long. I don't know what to do honestly. Don't want to take prescription meds and I've had a full neurological work-up done with nothing conclusive found.

erstad17 is offline Junior Member

I used to get them often enough that I would not leave the house unless I had my container of Advil. Since I started doing P90X and changed my lifestyle(diet) the migraines have disappeared. I'm not saying that it's because of P90X but because I started to exercise daily.

musajen is offline Junior Member

I get migraines on occasion, less frequently since the switch to primal. I'm weird about taking prescription meds so I've stuck with over the counter remedies. I also see my chiropractor when I've got one and after the adjustment, it typically clears up within a few hours.

ErikP Guest

Maranne,

I have had bad migraines with quite a bit of regularity over the last few years (several times per week).

After reading up on it as much as I could, I learned that a lot of the triggers are food-related. I then started keeping an extensive food journal. The main triggers for me were soy and wheat... and milk to a lesser extent. What makes it so difficult is that the triggers can be completely different from one person to the next, thus hard to diagnose the cause.

So to answer your question, the primal diet has helped me considerably (no wheat, soy and very little milk)! I still get them, but nothing like before.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member

Magnesium may help migraines.

Maranne, I have suffered with migraines since childhood. Exercise and a low carb diet have helped me quite a bit. Sunlight is also a trigger for me, and I occasionally get them in the summer. I use Maxalt and it works for me better than other prescriptions I've tried. I wouldn't recommend OTC meds, as they can (an do) cause rebound headaches.

mrd232 is offline Junior Member

I get them, but not as frequently as I did with a standard diet. I find staying hydrated and performing relaxation techniques - massaging the temples, deep breathing, or a power nap helps immensely. I usually only get them now due to hormonal fluctuations (i.e. that time of month) or a temperature shift.

hilary.oitzinger is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Mine are linked to food allergies/intols. I used to get them every other day. I tried food interventions for my chronic hives and joint pain and magically the migraines disappeared too. I've since become allergic to many other things, so it's always a guessing game but the real offenders for me are wheat, dairy, and soy. I get them far less often now.