Thread: triglycerides question page

sifardi is offline Junior Member

triglycerides question

Primal Fuel
    I have been on the paleo diet since June 2012 and following it very strictly. Up until 6 weeks ago my lipid panel was a mixed bag

Total cholestrol was up to 290 (creeping up from 220 in June)
    HDL was 57
    LDL was 197 ( LDL was 150 before I started with the Paleo diet)
    TRIGLYCERIDES: 77 (DOWN FROM 150 before paleo)

I was mostly concerned with LDL going up and 6 weeks ago followed up the advice of Mark from the perfect health diet and started to increase my carb intake to 300 calories per day mostly from white rice and yams.

A week ago I did another blood test and my lipid panel results were:

Total : 250
    HDL: 63
    LDL: 152
    TRIGS: 173

so now I am puzzled by why the TRIG number shot up? I was pretty close to 65 grams of carbs per day, it seems to lower my LDL number and Total Cholestrol. My ratios are fine but I thought that low carb intake was the main reason for lowering TRIGLYCERIDES. i ONLY INCREASED MY CARB CONSUMPTION by 40 grams a day, any thoughts of why the Trig number has shot up so high?

drfmd is offline Junior Member
    First, a disclaimer. The standard lipid profile is not perfect. There are many variables that can alter the results. I would encourage you to read this article- Cholesterol - what does the blood cholesterol test actually measure?. The only lipid test that directly measures all components is the NMR Lipo-profile.

If we assume your numbers to be true, then I would blame the white rice. It has a moderately high glycemic index and glycemic load as well.

Hope this helps.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    It is a puzzler. When you increased your carbs, did they displace fat in your diet? Or did you add them 'on top'?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

I did not change anything else in my diet, I just increased my carbs.

Hawkward is offline Senior Member
    While high intake of carbs can drive high trig numbers, I'm surprised yours would go up based on adding the little bit that you did. I eat more starch than that and my last trig number was 49. I always have them with fat (butter on potato or rice, coconut oil on sweet potatoes, etc), so that may make a difference.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Were you fasting when the sample was taken?
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

I did fast for 9 hours prior the test (did not eat after dinner and took the test early morning)

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Maybe just write it off as one of those things and see what the next test shows.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

roberbunch is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It has a moderately high glycemic index and glycemic load as well.