Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If i workout in the AM should I be fasting until 6ish pm? page

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member

If i workout in the AM should I be fasting until 6ish pm?

Shop Now
    i like to fast 20 hours or more and eat one meal a day. On the days i workout i do it right before heading to work from 9:30 to 10:45. Should I have something after the workout or is it ok just to continue on my fast until i get home?

tcoop2232 is offline Junior Member
    Martin Berkhan suggests to supplement with BCAAs pre-workout when training in a fasted state. If a person plans to continue a fast after a workout (typical for us morning trainers) he suggests supplementing with BCAAs every couple hours post-workout. I do this on occasion when I workout around 6:00 AM, and then continue my fast until about 12:00 PM or so. During this time I will supplement with 10 grams of BCAA every couple hours until the fast is over. The reason for this BCAA protocol is to stimulate protein synthesis and metabolism.

Although, you could do the BCAA supplementation throughout the entire day (until 6:00 PM with your current described schedule), I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. In my opinion, your best bet would be to workout after work at the end of your fast (possibly experiment with BCAA pre-workout), and eat your meal afterwards. I feel that strategy would give you the best results.

twa2w is offline Senior Member
    I work out in the AM - about 6 to 6:30 and if I am IFing, often don't eat until 5 or 6 pm with no ill effects. I am not looking for muscle growth though so YMMV. My strength/endurance certainly has never been affected.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    I don't think you should fast. I don't think you should adhere to any set schedule. Why do people overconsume calories?

Well, part of it is processed foods. Sugars and oils are added to things, which do little for satiety but greatly increase caloric density. Flours and grain products provide little satiety as well, encouraging overeating. But that's not all.

Schedules are a problem. If you're like me, you probably work 5 days a week. You probably make your lunch the day before in preparation. You make a predetermined portion and put it in the fridge overnight. Then, 12:00pm rolls around and you take your lunch break. You eat your meal. Why? Are you always equally hungry at 12:00pm every day? Let's face it - you're sitting down at a predetermined time to eat a predetermined meal regardless of what your body is signaling. Maybe you don't really get hungry til 2:00pm. Maybe your predetermined portion is too large for you since you've literally been sitting on a chair all day and you haven't worked up an appetite. But I'm guessing you're still eating the whole thing at the same time regardless of hunger - your fate is predetermined this way.

Now, let's look at it from the other side of the table. Why are you artificially forcing yourself to fast? If you're very hungry, you're just going to ignore it? Constantly snacking is unnatural and unhealthy - I believe this 100%. However, chronic fasting is also a chronic stressor. The reason why grains are unhealthy isn't because they're outright poison. You're not going to die from eating a biscuit. However, they are inflammatory, so over years, the inflammation and trace toxins built up, the condition becomes chronic and a disease develops from a chronic stressor. Chronic fasting leads to chronically high cortisol which leads to problems later in life. Why do you think IF becomes hazardous to so many women? It can lead to lost fertility, chills, hypothyroid...the list is long.

Occasional fasting is healthy. Not snacking regularly is healthy. But adhering to artificial macro ratios and artificial fasting windows "just because," in my opinion, is not healthy for the reasons outlined above. Some days are just aren't as hungry. You've probably done less activity. Eat less food less often those days. Some days you are very hungry. You probably did something to make it so. Eat more food more often those days. And every once in awhile, go really hungry for a bit, and every once in awhile, gorge yourself til stuffed for a bit. That's really all you have to do!
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

garod82 is online now Senior Member
    good info

Bosstycoon is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I don't think you should fast. I don't think you should adhere to any set schedule. Why do people overconsume calories?

Well, part of it is processed foods. Sugars and oils are added to things, which do little for satiety but greatly increase caloric density. Flours and grain products provide little satiety as well, encouraging overeating. But that's not all.

Schedules are a problem. If you're like me, you probably work 5 days a week. You probably make your lunch the day before in preparation. You make a predetermined portion and put it in the fridge overnight. Then, 12:00pm rolls around and you take your lunch break. You eat your meal. Why? Are you always equally hungry at 12:00pm every day? Let's face it - you're sitting down at a predetermined time to eat a predetermined meal regardless of what your body is signaling. Maybe you don't really get hungry til 2:00pm. Maybe your predetermined portion is too large for you since you've literally been sitting on a chair all day and you haven't worked up an appetite. But I'm guessing you're still eating the whole thing at the same time regardless of hunger - your fate is predetermined this way.

Now, let's look at it from the other side of the table. Why are you artificially forcing yourself to fast? If you're very hungry, you're just going to ignore it? Constantly snacking is unnatural and unhealthy - I believe this 100%. However, chronic fasting is also a chronic stressor. The reason why grains are unhealthy isn't because they're outright poison. You're not going to die from eating a biscuit. However, they are inflammatory, so over years, the inflammation and trace toxins built up, the condition becomes chronic and a disease develops from a chronic stressor. Chronic fasting leads to chronically high cortisol which leads to problems later in life. Why do you think IF becomes hazardous to so many women? It can lead to lost fertility, chills, hypothyroid...the list is long.

Occasional fasting is healthy. Not snacking regularly is healthy. But adhering to artificial macro ratios and artificial fasting windows "just because," in my opinion, is not healthy for the reasons outlined above. Some days are just aren't as hungry. You've probably done less activity. Eat less food less often those days. Some days you are very hungry. You probably did something to make it so. Eat more food more often those days. And every once in awhile, go really hungry for a bit, and every once in awhile, gorge yourself til stuffed for a bit. That's really all you have to do!
    I like your outlooks in all of your post.just sayin
    Started Primal November 20, 2011
    Slipped from Christmas-New Years
    January 2, 2012 until Death= 100% Primal/Paleo

Start Weight-210
    Goal Weight-Skinny with a 6 pack and lean all around

Journal.... http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread44612.html

jakey is offline Senior Member
    choco nailed it!

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post

I dont fast for any scientific reason that might possibly be related to weight loss. I do it because from personal experience i like the way it makes me feel and also out of pure convenience. its so much easier to just come home and have a giant meal than to bring something along with me especially when i do have something during the day it just gives me ravenous hunger. I was just wondering about workout days though. On days i do cardio or something i just go about my day.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    WHEN.

When

Hunger

Ensues

Naturally

What this means is, you really shouldn't schedule your eating. Just eat when you are hungry. If you're not hungry post-workout, just don't eat. If you are, then do.

Eat when your body signals itself that it's time to. Not before, not later. Don't force a fast, but also don't force the eating.

brendavilleg is offline Junior Member
    The reason for this BCAA protocol is to stimulate protein synthesis and metabolism.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast