Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If i workout in the AM should I be fasting until 6ish pm? page 2

chickenbackside is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I work out at 8 am and eat my one and only meal at 7-8pm. Everyday.

It just works out this way following my hunger cues.

Morning is the only time I can exercise and after that I'm simply not hungry. In the afternoon, I drink a pot or 2 of black chinese green tea, and that blunts my hunger even more. By the time I get hungry is around dinner time. And when I eat, I eat til I'm fully satiated.

Have maintained >100lbs weight loss for a few years this way. No problems with putting on muscle and maintaining them.

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brendavilleg View Post
    The reason for this BCAA protocol is to stimulate protein synthesis and metabolism.
    Ummmm .... it's actually an attempt at controlling gluconeogenesis from protein substrates. Stimulating protein synthesis when you're not actually eating protein ( i.e. you are fasting ) is a pretty counterproductive thing to do metabolically.

-PK
    Last edited by pklopp; 10-19-2012 at 01:33 PM.
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    WHEN.

When

Hunger

Ensues

Naturally

What this means is, you really shouldn't schedule your eating. Just eat when you are hungry. If you're not hungry post-workout, just don't eat. If you are, then do.

Eat when your body signals itself that it's time to. Not before, not later. Don't force a fast, but also don't force the eating.
    This advice is quite difficult to put into practice when you live in a culture where:

1. Food is trivially available
    2. You are bombarded with constant messages expressly intended to increase your consumption of everything,
      including food.

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pklopp View Post
    This advice is quite difficult to put into practice when you live in a culture where:

2. You are bombarded with constant messages expressly intended to increase your consumption of everything,
      including food.

-PK
    agreed, for my own life - with a job - this doesn't really work out. i have an hour of calm that starts at noon, during which, it's quite easy and relaxing to eat. if i decide to not eat then because i'm not super hungry, and then get hungry at 1:15pm when shit is flying around and i'm in the thick of it, i have a problem.

i've abandoned W.H.E.N. as a concession to the constraints of modern life. it's just far easier to either eat at predetermined times, or to skip certain meals. i don't mind skipping a meal if it's my choice, but i get quite cranky otherwise, fwiw.

2ndChance is offline Senior Member
    I have a viewpoint similar to ChocoTaco's. I'm wary of forced fasting.

I'm a college student, and I'm on campus from 11-9 twice a week. They don't sell anything remotely close to healthy there, which is tragic, really, considering some people live on campus. Anyway, I'll have a big breakfast of eggs and some kind of veggie(s). Then I usually bring along a salad and a few nuts, which I eat once I get hungry, which oftentimes isn't til 5 PM or so, despite doing a lot of walking from building to building with a heavy wheelie bag (I've sworn off backpacks--ow).

The period of time from 5 to 9 is the worst. I end up in serious ketosis. My point here is that, on these days, I'm fasting because I have to, and I'm thankful for my slow-ish metabolism; without it, I would NOT be a happy camper come 8:30 or so.

Grok wouldn't force himself to fast when food was available. He would cherish his ability to get by when it wasn't. The idea of working out and then not eating all day, or taking some weird protein supplement is not something I would do. If it feels right to you, then keep at it, but I think the reason you're asking us here if it's a good idea is because part of you knows that it could be dangerous. There's a fine line between remarkable self-control and anorexia. Only you know which side of it you're on.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by pklopp View Post

including food.

-PK
    It's called a little bit of willpower. Learn to listen to your body's natural hunger (or lack thereof) signals and you'll be good to go. I mean, part of the point of eating a healthy primal diet such as we are is just that. It helps you learn to really understand yourself and listen to your body.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12