Thread: Brie - the devil or not? page

lepidecko is offline Junior Member

Brie - the devil or not?

Shop Now
    So I've been eating this creamy cheese only on very special occasions, but with all I've read here, I am beginning to think that maybe this is actually... dare I say it... good for me??

Here is the profile:

Per 100gr

cals: 335
    Prot: 17 gr
    Carb: 1 gr
    (sugar): 0 gr
    Fat: 32 gr
    (sat) : 21 gr
    (unsat) 8gr
    Sodium: 0,55 gr

Should I be eating a few hundred grams of this stuff daily, or am I missing something?
    Will I accidentally kill myself?

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    If you're tolerant of dairy and you're willing to cut down other food intake, maybe. Are you trying to lose weight? Maintain? Nothing will kill you quickly unless you're eating poison but a few people have problems with skin/weight loss when they eat a lot of dairy. It depends on your body.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

I'm not sure I understand. Why would I need to cut down on other food intake? Shouldn't you be setting up a goal for total calories, total grams of protein and fat, and then find food that will get you there?

Unless I'm missing something (which is why I ask the question) this food would seem to quickly increase your protein and fat intake while not increasing your carb intake much, right?

Isn't that the kind of food we are looking for?

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    What's your starting profile? Are you trying to maintain weight? Lose? I meant that your consumption of Brie (which I agree is awesome) might inhibit a weight loss goal if you are aiming for that. Eating your normal diet and adding some 300gr of Brie might not be the best option. That's a good 1000 calories a day. If you are trying to gain and have no problem digesting dairy then go nuts.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Comma is offline Senior Member
    Oh God, yes, if you tolerate dairy. So very good.

I agree with Damiana - don't just add Brie on top of your regular diet. I've gotten some wonderful triple-cream Brie wheels and eaten it with prosciutto, and that's lunch. I don't think my net calories really changed much from my usual lunches, but it's certainly going to be higher fat, which is fine. It's a very satisfying hunk o' lovin', so after you hanker down on some Brie it sticks with ya. Plus, being such a nice compact calorie delivery mechanism, when you do eat that, it's not like you had to eat a salad the size of a basketball to fill you up, so no bloat or anything like that.

The devil? If Brie's the devil, then I'm spending part of the year in Hades.

okok, I get it . Yes, if you remember from the other post I was trying to add at least another 500 calories to my diet. So I was looking for something that doesn't have too many carbs, and not necessarily too much protein either, as I'm prob. getting more than enough already. So 100-150 grams of brie should do it :P

No downside? like too much saturated fat vs non-sat or something?

Too much saturated fat? What do these words mean?

bob loblaw is offline Senior Member
    Brie is great.

If you are looking to lose weight, it can be a problem because it is very easy to add a LOT of calories to your diet with cheese. But, health wise, I would have no concerns with Brie or almost any real cheese. (unless you have issues with dairy.)