Thread: Beefy Olive dish page

JoanieL is offline Senior Member

Beefy Olive dish

Primal Fuel
    Fall asleep watching old Triple-D episodes on Hulu where someone is making something with beef and olives, wake up with the urge for something salty and creamy, and…. Anyway, I have no idea what the original recipe was; I just remember thinking, “Beef and olives, cool!” So, I came up with this and it was yummy.

Beefy Olive Stuff

10-2/3 oz 95/5 lean grass fed ground beef*
    3 Tblsp organic tomato paste
    1 cup Pomi** chopped tomatoes
    Pinch of cinnamon (optional, I just always think cinnamon + tomato = yum)
    Garlic powder to taste
    4 oz mushrooms chopped
    8 pimento stuffed olives cut in half
    3 oz soft goat cheese
    2 oz Parmesan chopped very tiny***
    1 oz vodka****
    salt and pepper to taste

Pull apart the ground beef and brown. Even the lean has enough fat that you don’t need to add any fat, but add some if you prefer.

Add mushrooms, stirring ‘til shrooms are soft.

Add tomato paste, cinnamon, garlic powder, and chopped tomatoes. Stir ‘til hot.

Add Parmesan. Stir. Add goat cheese. Stir. (I like to incorporate each item separately, but this can be short-cutted fersure.)

Add olives and vodka. Um, stir. Until everything is incorporated nice and evenly.

Turn heat down to a low simmer. 10-15 min, then turn off heat. Eat with gusto (or maybe with your SO, if you have one.) This recipe has ~1000 calories give or take, so I guess it feeds two, or one who eats one meal a day.

*Sorry for the odd amount. I freeze ground beef in 5.3 oz patties (i.e. 3 per pound) so I can grab easily for burgers. I grabbed two for this “recipe.”

**A wonderful brand, but use your favorite

***You can, of course grate this, but I wanted to find the occasional bite of salty goodness when I ate this.

****Totally optional. I happened to be drinking while cooking, and it got warm, so I threw it in the sauce.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    That sounds very good. I made a recipe with a similar flavor profile/ingredients last night:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Read more: Chris Cosentino's Beef Heart Tartare - Puttanesca Style Recipe | The Daily Meal

Chris Cosentino's Beef Heart Tartare - Puttanesca Style Recipe

INGREDIENTS
    1 beef heart (approximately 4-5 pounds), trimmed of sinew and gristle
    2 teaspoons salted capers (preferably small ones), rinsed
    2 tablespoons red onion, finely diced
    2 Serrano peppers sliced into very thin rings
    2 tablespoons pitted San Remo olives
    1 teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated
    15 ripe cherry tomatoes, quartered
    Extra-virgin olive oil
    1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
    4 teaspoons fresh basil, julienned
    4 teaspoons fresh mint, julienned
    Maldon sea salt, to taste
    Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
    Garlic chips Crostini (thinly-sliced and toasted bread, usually brushed with olive oil)

DIRECTIONS

First cut the heart into pieces that are small enough to put through the meat grinder set on a medium dice. (A KitchenAid grinder attachment is perfect). If you don’t have a grinder, then hand-cut the heart into ¼-inch pieces.

In a mixing bowl, combine the heart with the capers, red onion, Serranos, olives, lemon zest, and tomatoes. Gently mix, being careful not to break up the tomatoes. Add a splash of olive oil, vinegar, and herbs, mixing well. Season with salt and pepper. (You’re looking for a nice balance between the meat, garnish and heat from the chiles).

To assemble the dish, divide the mixture onto 8 cold serving plates and drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil. Then sprinkle with the crispy garlic chips and serve with the crostini.
    -------------------------------------------------------------

I left off the crostini of course. I may have it with some goat cheese tonight. Thanks for the inspiration.