Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! Fallen off the Primal bus and having a hard time getting back on page

denisedb is offline Member

Help! Fallen off the Primal bus and having a hard time getting back on

Primal Fuel
    I am a busy 40 year old mom of two precious boys and I was Primal and feeling great for a good three weeks, then we hit some bumps and long story short I didn't get good (hardly any deep) sleep for almost a month. I turned in despair to sugar and caffeine to just keep me awake and able to care for my kids. Sleeping better generally now, but gained another 5 lbs from this and tipping the scales at a depressing 162 lbs, size 12 (I'm naturally very small boned, size 2-4). Yikes. I'm having a hard time, now, getting back on the Primal bus. Would appreciate any advice, etc. Thanks.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    just take it one meal at a time til you're back on board the wagon, it's really just as simple as that

and no need to beat yourself up over a 5lb water weight gain, that will fall off soon enough
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

denisedb is offline Member
    Thanks. Good advice.

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    yeah i'm just now climbing back up on my own wagon 8 lbs of water lost in the last few days

you can doooo eeeeeeet
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Yes, definitely one meal at a time.

Also, make sure that you have primal snacks around at all times. This makes a huge difference for me when I'm also stressed.

Finally, I basically have an IV drip of tea all day long. Like, two days ago, I only had 2 cups of tea. Madness! I have at least 8 a day (last 2-4 being roobois, rather than caffinated, which is what I drink during the day). LOL

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    A good cardio session will get the water weight off fast and get you revved up to go back on the primal wagon IMO. That's my routine when I've had a bad day of indulging.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

KWM
    KWM is offline Member
    Long ago (1980s) I read a magazine article that gave a useful trick -- the title of the article was "Romancing the Jolt." It was a riff on a book titled "Jolted Sober" which had been followed (of course) by "Jolted Lean." The underlying idea in these two books was that some people got this "instantaneous" mental thunderclap that allowed them to abruptly turn a corner into the right direction.

The thrust of the magazine article was that anyone can purposely create the required jolt within themselves. You don't have to wait for it to find you. I've found this to be true, but you have to make the effort. It's fun. Here's what you do --

Start absorbing EVERYTHING you can about the behavior you want to adopt. Be somewhat specific -- not just "I want to be Primal." More like "A Whole-30 seems like a good idea."

Read articles, cruise web-threads, look at pictures, try out various affirmations and be OK with discarding stuff that doesn't ring true. Don't make any effort to actually change anything while you're soaking up the information. Don't pick a "start date" or anything like that. You'll know when it's worked -- you'll "suddenly" know what you have to do and you'll have a certain strength of purpose that will get you through the first days or even weeks.

It won't last forever -- you have to keep the motivation up -- but it's great for stopping a skid and re-invigorating yourself.

My last "romancing" by the way, consisted primarily of reading three of PaleoBird's threads start to finish, especially the Eat MOAR Fat thread. That gargantuan project took a couple of weeks and included wandering off to various posted links, and from there -- the universe.

Sure enough -- within about a week I was really getting into the idea that I'd do better in ketosis. (Past experience bore that out, too.) In less than 2 weeks, I was back on track, after a several-month "slip" of mostly Too Much Fruit, but also -- gasp! -- one particularly memorable episode with a 1/2 gallon of Tillamook Espresso/Chocolate Chip ice cream, eaten more or less all at once. Yikes.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KWM View Post

Read articles, cruise web-threads, look at pictures, try out various affirmations and be OK with discarding stuff that doesn't ring true. Don't make any effort to actually change anything while you're soaking up the information. Don't pick a "start date" or anything like that. You'll know when it's worked -- you'll "suddenly" know what you have to do and you'll have a certain strength of purpose that will get you through the first days or even weeks.
    I do this. I didn't even realize it had a name. It's just the way I've lived my entire life. I do still need "the jolt" to trigger the initial interest to set me down the path to all that research.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    I agree with above. Do some reading and research to get the itch going again and take it one day at a time. I'm recently back on the wagon myself after being off for a month or two. I'm already starting to feel better.

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I totally agree with the 'jolt' philosophy.

Some questions:

What was the easiest part of being primal?

What was the hardest?

What was the 'event' that brought you off the wagon? Importantly, do not look at this as a 'failure' or evidence that you are evil/lack motivation/subpar human being. This is simply a learning opportunity.

Next, what resources/skills could you use next time? Yes, there will be a next time. We all fall off the wagon, whether it be one bite, one meal, one week, or 6 months. Are there things that could help head you off at the pass?

For me, a major breakthrough Eureka! moment occurred when I really internalized that eating crap will not, in fact, make me feel better emotionally. Up till then I would still do the "Life sucks I really want a chocolate bar just one and I will feel better life sucks anyway what difference does one chocolate bar make" rationalization. I would eat the chocolate, but the 'reward' component just seemed to be missing.

Once you answer those, then organize a bit so that you have ample 'resources' at your fingertips, both for the easy times and hard times.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast